I lead the development and implementation of quality improvement programs across the state of Michigan to improve the care of patients with cancer. Current projects/initiatives are related to oral anticancer therapy management, chemotherapy-induced nausea/vomiting, the utilization of pharmacists to bridge primary care and oncology for patients with cancer, and the development of a new program where we’re funding and studying the impact of putting oncology clinical pharmacists into practices across the state of Michigan (POEM).
Pharmacy School Attended: Drake University (2000)
- PGY1 Pharmacy: The University Hospital –Health Alliance, Cincinnati, OH (2001)
- PGY2 Oncology: The University Hospital –Health Alliance, Cincinnati, OH (2002)
Areas of Interest
Quality Improvement in Oncology, Oral Anticancer Agents –Adherence, Medication Management, Patient Reported Outcomes, Program Implementation, Relationship between Primary Care and Oncology, Oncology Pharmacy ProfessionalAdvancement within the Interdisciplinary Care Model
Honors & Awards
- 2016: Nominee –Preceptor of the Year, University of Michigan College of Pharmacy
- 2013: Honorable Mention, UMHS Clinical Program of the Year for UMCCC Oral Medication for Cancer Therapy Program
- 2004: Preceptor of the Year, University of Michigan College of Pharmacy
- 2000: Excellence in Patient Care Award, Drake University College of Pharmacy
- Nachar VR, Farris K, Beekman K, Griggs J, Hough S, Mackler E. Clinician Report of Oral Oncolytic Symptoms and Adherence Obtained Viaa Patient-Reported Outcome Measure (PROM). J Clin Cancer Inform.2019;3:1-6.
- Mackler E, Segal EM, Muluneh B, Jeffers K, Carmichael J. 2018 Hematology/Oncology Pharmacist Association Best Practices for the Management of Oral Oncolytic Therapy: Pharmacy Practice Standard. J Oncol Pract. 2019;15(4):e346-e355.
- Stevenson JG, LaPointe S, Sabourin A, Reyes REJ, Phalen MJ, Mackler ER. Implementing a Specialty Pharmacy Course within a Professional Pharmacy Curriculum. Currents in Pharmacy Teaching and Learning. 2019;11(1):106-113.
- Mackler E, Scappaticci G, Salgado TM, Petersen L, Davis EJ, Peltier E, Griggs JJ, Sabo RT, Farris KB. Impact of a Statewide Oral Oncolytic Initiative on Five Participating Practices. J Oncol Pract. 2018;14(5):e304-e309.
- Vulaj V, Hough S, Bedard L, Farris K, Mackler E. Oncology Pharmacist Opportunities: Closing the Gap in Quality Care. J Oncol Pract. 2018;14(6):e403-e411.
- Mackler E, Petersen L, Severson J, Blayney DW, Benitez LL, Early CR, Hough S, Griggs JJ. Implementing a Method for Evaluating Patient-Reported Outcomes Associated With Oral Oncolytic Therapy. J Oncol Pract. 2017;13(4):e395-e400.
- Salgado TM, Mackler E, Severson JA, Lindsay J, Batra P, Petersen L, Farris KB. The Relationship Between Patient Activation, Confidence to Self-Manage Side Effects, and Adherence to Oral Oncolytics: A Pilot Study with Michigan Oncology Practices. Support Care Cancer. 2017;25(6):1797-1807.
- McNamara E, Redoutey L, Mackler E, Severson JA, Petersen L, Mahmood T. Improving Oral Oncolytic Patient Self-Management. J Oncol Pract. 2016;12(9):e864-9.
- Ashjian E, Salamin L, Eschenburg K, Kraft S, Mackler E. Evaluation of Outpatient Medication Reconciliation at a Comprehensive Cancer Center. J Am Pharm Assoc. 2015;55(5):540-545.
- Koselke E, Marini B, Kraft S, Walker S, Allore D, Mackler E. Implementation of and satisfaction with an outpatient oral anticancer program. Journal of Hematology Oncology Pharmacy. 2015;5(3):62-68.
- Zerillo JA, Pham T, Kadlubek P, Severson JA, Mackler E, Jacobson JO, Blayney DW. Administration of oral chemotherapy: Early results from three rounds of Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (QOPI) data. Journal of Oncology Practice. 2015;11(2):e255-e262