The University of Michigan Department of Emergency Medicine is pleased to offer a two-year competency based medical education fellowship. This fellowship is designed for junior faculty seeking to build skills in clinical teaching, simulation, curricular development, leadership, and medical education research. Develop your career in academic emergency medicine as an active junior member of the Education Faculty involved in all aspects of academic medicine through personalized mentorship.
I. Mission Statement
The mission of the Medical Education Fellowship at the Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Michigan is to develop and train emergency medicine physicians to become experts, leaders and scholars in the field of medical education. Fellows will develop knowledge, skills, and expertise in essential competency areas of medical education including educational theory, teaching and learning, curriculum development, assessment, evaluation, scholarship, and leadership.
II. Fellowship Details
The Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of Michigan possesses unique capabilities and exceptional expertise in medical education. Our department education faculty including a PhD in education, and two faculty with Masters in Education. University of Michigan faculty are consistently recognized for their contributions in medical education research, with over one hundred education publications as well as serving key roles in Graduate Medical Education and the Medical School.
Fellows are anticipated to complete a Masters of Health Professional Education either through the University of Michigan Department of Learning Health Sciences or another program.
After completion of the fellowship, learners will be competent in the following areas:
- Education Theory
- Educational Methods
- Curriculum Development
- Educational Community
- Education Research/ Scholarship
Components of the program include:
- Clinical – Fellows will have the role of a Clinical Instructor in the Emergency Medicine Department and staff as an attending in the department.
- Education – Fellows will gain experience and competency through a variety of practical and structured activities. Fellows will be encouraged to enter a Masters program, and will be provided funding for 2 years to pursue this.
- Fellows may choose to pursue additional training such as:
UM Medical Education Scholars Program
ACEP Teaching Fellowship, CORD Navigating the Academic Waters
Harvard Simulation Workshop
- Faculty Mentorship
- Department Education Track and Medical Education Research Group Meetings
2. Teaching – fellows are expected to teach in multiple settings including:
- Clinical shifts as part of usual clinical duties
- Resident, fellow, student didactics
- Simulation sessions
- Education track sessions
- Participation in national or regional education didactics
- Faculty development didactics or workshops
3. Research and Scholarship– Through faculty guidance and Masters degree, fellows will develop an understanding and implement an appropriate research or scholarly project
4. Administrative and Leadership – Fellows will have administrative roles in the residency or in the medical student clerkship
- Role as Assistant Program Director (fellow) within Residency
Role in curriculum development and implementation for residency
Role as APD in residency recruitment and selection
Program evaluation and Residency Review
- Role as Assistant Clerkship Director for Medical Students
Role in curriculum development and implementation for student didactics
Role in student grading and assessment and Clerkship Program evaluation
Role in medical student mentorship and advising in Emergency Medicine
Eligibility and Application Process
Qualifications include Board Certified or Board Eligible in Emergency Medicine (residency trained) and a strong interest in academic career as a clinical educator.
Applicants are asked to provide:
- A curriculum vitae with contact information for three references.
- A cover letter outlining their long term goals and the reasons for pursing a Medical Education Fellowship.
- Three Letters of Recommendation.
Please contact Ambrosya Amlong to apply, and for any questions regarding the fellowship.