We understand that undertaking graduate study is a significant investment of time, energy, and financial resources. The Department of Learning Health Sciences, in collaboration and coordination with the Rackham Graduate School and the University of Michigan, strive to provide many sources of financial assistance to help students meet educational and living expenses. The sources and types of assistance vary widely. 

Department of Learning Health Sciences Funding

Implementation Science in Health 2 Students
 Implementation Science in Health 2

All students admitted to the HILS doctoral program are considered for financial support. Most HILS doctoral students receive at least four years of full funding through a Graduate Student Research Assistant appointment, which includes tuition, a stipend, and graduate student health insurance. Packages may include fellowships, research or teaching assistantships, or traineeships. Depending on the appointment, the terms of awards may be governed by the Graduate Employees Organization (GEO) for Graduate Student Instructors/Graduate Student Staff Assistants, or according to University policy for Graduate Student Research Assistants. 

At this time, there are no departmental awards made at the Master's level.

Rackham Graduate School Administered Funding

Most Rackham funding is allocated via departments. Additional funding, roughly $12.5 million of graduate student support, is awarded through Rackham administered fellowships and grant competitions. Rackham also partners with departments to provide cost sharing to ensure that students who compete for external grants and fellowships are better off than they would be without the external award. Rackham provides resources for both Master's and Doctoral students. These awards include fellowships, summer awards, non-traditional student funding, international student scholarships and fellowships, conference travel, research, and emergency financial, child cares support,  and other forms of support. Students are highly encouraged to research additional resources for finding funding.

Federal Aid for U.S. Citizens

If you have not already done so, you may apply for Federal Financial Aid online by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For more information, please visit the U-M Office of Financial Aid. There are additional resources available for U.S. military veterans and active duty personnel.  

The University of Michigan publishes the cost of attendance annually. Current tuition and fees information is available through the Office of the Registrar. The HILS PhD/MS is part of the School of Medicine and charges Rackham tuition and fees (not professional, MD or MHPE, tuition).

The Council of Graduate Schools provides an online financial literacy platform for graduate and professional students, GradSense.