Laying the Foundations
The industrious faculty and staff of DLHS have launched a number of Learning Health System (LHS) initiatives and partnerships that leverage biomedical knowledge and data to facilitate new, more effective kinds of health care delivery.
- The Knowledge Grid (KGrid) – The KGrid is an open platform designed to make medical best practice knowledge computable and readily available for widespread use.
- Patient Data Dashboard Effort - DLHS received funding from Genentech’s Corporate Giving Support program in 2016 for “A Novel Knowledge-Delivery Mechanism Empowering Clinicians to Improve Patient Experience of Cancer Care.” The project focuses on making actionable knowledge about the patient experience of chemotherapy computable and on using that knowledge to add customizable decision-support to a prototype Patient data dashboard so that clinicians can provide great support to patients who are at home.
- Partnering with the National Institutes of Taiwan – Helping health care providers make best use of pharmacogenomic knowledge during patient care.
- LHSNet.org / PCORI - LHSNet is a patient-centered network of seven diverse institutions which support research that facilitates meaningful health care improvements for patients, families and providers. The network is funded by The Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI), as part of PCORnet, which focuses on significantly reducing the time and effort required to start studies and build the necessary research infrastructure to conduct them.
- Mobilizing Computable Biomedical Knowledge (MCBK) – Experts from academia, government and biomedical libraries came together in October 2017 at University of Michigan for the inaugural MCBK conference to explore how to create a scalable knowledge infrastructure that is sustainable and FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable). We are pleased to share that an open MCBK conference is planned for July 10 - 11, 2018 at the Lister Hill National Center for Biomedical Communications in Bethesda, Maryland. Registration Information can be found here.