Dr. Donnelly is a Research Investigator in the Department of Learning Health Sciences, School of Medicine, University of Michigan, and a K12 scholar in the NHLBI-funded Training to Advance Care Through Implementation Science in Cardiac and Lung Illnesses (TACTICAL) program. He received prior training in microbiology, epidemiology, and statistics, completing his PhD in epidemiology from the University of Alabama at Birmingham. As part of his doctoral studies, he also completed predoctoral fellowships focused on health services, outcomes, and effectiveness research (AHRQ-funded T32) and sepsis risk prediction among kidney transplant recipients (NIGMS-funded F31). His previous work focused on sepsis epidemiology, infection risk and outcomes in immunosuppressed populations, and health care utilization following critical illness. His current work involves developing, evaluating, and implementing sepsis risk prediction tools, antibiotic optimization, and infection control among end-stage renal disease patients on maintenance hemodialysis. He enjoys hiking, golfing, and collecting vinyl records.
Other Professional Highlights
- Over 50 publications and 60 abstracts/presentations
- Samuel B. Barker Award for Excellence in Graduate Studies at the Doctoral Level, University of Alabama at Birmingham, 2018
- Top New Peer Reviewer for 2016, Annals of Emergency Medicine, 2017
- Top 50 Peer Reviewer for 2016, Annals of Emergency Medicine, 2017
- MHRC Charles Barkley Health Disparities Investigator 1st Place Award, Poster Presentation, 11th Annual University of Alabama at Birmingham Health Disparities Research Symposium, 2016
- Delta Omega Honorary Society in Public Health, Upsilon Chapter, University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Public Health, 2013
- Reviewer for Annals of Internal Medicine, Accident Analysis and Prevention, Annals of Emergency Medicine, Journal of Critical Care, Lancet Infectious Diseases, Lancet Respiratory Medicine
Areas of Interest
Implementation science, sepsis screening and risk stratification tools among high-risk populations, promoting appropriate antibiotic utilization in patients with critical illnesses, patient safety and infection control, longitudinal approaches for the control of time-varying confounding
Subject Matter Expertise
Epidemiological methods, sepsis epidemiology and outcomes, pharmacoepidemiology, risk score development and validation, longitudinal data analysis, analysis of administrative databases and claims data, mixed effects modeling, geospatial analysis, profiling organizational performance
- Donnelly JP, Lakkur S, Judd SE, Levitan EB, Griffin R, Howard G, Safford MM, Wang HE. Association of Neighborhood Socioeconomic Status With Risk of Infection and Sepsis. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Jun 1;66(12):1940-1947. PMID: 29444225.
- Wang HE, Jones AR, Donnelly JP. Revised National Estimates of Emergency Department Visits for Sepsis in the United States. Crit Care Med. 2017 45(9):1443-1449. PMID: 28817480; PMCID: PMC5609499.
- Donnelly JP, Safford MM, Shapiro NI, Baddley JW, Wang HE. Application of the Third International Consensus Definitions for Sepsis (Sepsis-3) Classification: a retrospective population-based cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2017 17(6):661-670. PMID: 28268067; PMCID: PMC5449202.
- Donnelly JP, Nair S, Griffin R, Baddley JW, Safford MM, Wang HE, Shapiro NI. Association of Diabetes and Insulin Therapy With Risk of Hospitalization for Infection and 28-Day Mortality Risk. Clin Infect Dis. 2017 64(4):435-442. PMID: 28174913.
- Donnelly JP, Locke JE, MacLennan PA, McGwin G Jr, Mannon RB, Safford MM, Baddley JW, Muntner P, Wang HE. Inpatient Mortality Among Solid Organ Transplant Recipients Hospitalized for Sepsis and Severe Sepsis. Clin Infect Dis. 2016 63(2):186-194. PMID: 27217215; PMCID: PMC4928388.
- Donnelly JP, Franco R, Wang HE, Galbraith JW. Emergency Department Screening for Hepatitis C Virus: Geographic Reach and Spatial Clustering in Central Alabama. Clin Infect Dis. 2016 62(5):613-6. PMID: 26611776; PMCID: PMC5006126.
- Donnelly JP, Wang HE, Locke JE, Mannon RB, Safford MM, Baddley JW. Hospital-Onset Clostridium difficile Infection among Solid Organ Transplant Recipients. Am J Transplant. 2015 15(11):2970-2977. PMID: 26484839; PMCID: PMC5292937.
- Donnelly JP, Hohmann SF, Wang HE. Unplanned Readmissions After Hospitalization for Severe Sepsis at Academic Medical Center-Affiliated Hospitals. Crit Care Med. 2015 43(9):1916-1927. PMID: 26082977; PMCID: PMC4537666.
- Galbraith JW, Franco RA, Donnelly JP, Rodgers JB, Morgan JM, Viles AF, Overton ET, Saag MS, Wang HE. Unrecognized chronic hepatitis C virus infection among baby boomers in the emergency department. Hepatology. 2015 61(3):776-782. PMID: 25179527.
- Donnelly JP, Baddley JW, Wang HE. Antibiotic utilization for acute respiratory tract infections in U.S. emergency departments. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2014 58(3):1451-1457. PMID: 24342652; PMCID: PMC3957838.