Areas of Interest
Research and scholarly interests: psychosocial issues related to diabetes, patient empowerment approach to diabetes care & education, improving the teaching and counseling skills of health professionals
Subject-matter expertise: educational psychology
Other professional highlights:
- Conducted National Institutes of Health-funded research in the above areas for the past 20 years.
- Director of Diabetes Research Institute of the Anhui Academy of Chinese Medicine in Anhui Provence
- 2000 American Diabetes Association’s Outstanding Educator in Diabetes Award
- 1997 Allene Van Son Award for developing “Living with Diabetes: Challenges in the African American Community” given by American Association of Diabetes Educators
- 1993 American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) Distinguished Service Award 1995 Honorary Member “El Grupo de Estudio de Diabetes Mellitus A.C.” awarded in Acapulco, Mexico, May 1995
- 1991 Allene Van Son Award for developing a presentation skills videotape entitled "Teaching Vignettes" given by American Association of Diabetes Educators
- 1989 Carol Sinicki Manuscript Award for "Influencing the Personal Meaning of Diabetes: Research and Practice" given by the American Association of Diabetes Educators
- 1987 Allene Van Son Award for developing an original teaching exercise entitled: "The Diabetes Values Auction" given by the American Association of Diabetes Educators
- 1985 Carol Sinicki Manuscript Award for "Is the Problem of Non-Compliance All in Our Heads" given by the American Association of Diabetes Educators
- Anderson, RM, Funnell MM, Burkhart NT, Gillard ML, Nwankwo RB: 101 Tips for Behavior Change in Diabetes Education. Alexandria, VA: American Diabetes Association, 2002.
- Anderson RM, Funnell MM: The Art of Empowerment: Stories and Strategies for Diabetes Educators, 2nd Edition. Alexandria, VA: American Diabetes Association, 2005.
- Anderson RM: Into the heart of darkness: reflections on racism and diabetes care. The Diabetes Educator 24(6):689-692, 1998.
- Anderson RM: Is it ethical to assign medically underserved African Americans to a usual-care control group in community-based intervention research? (Commentary) Diabetes Care 28(7):1817-1820, 2005. PMCID: PMC15983347
- Anderson RM, Funnell MM, Aikens JE, Krein SL, Fitzgerald JT, Nwankwo R, Tannas CL, Tang TS: Evaluating the efficacy of an empowerment-based self-management consultant intervention: results of a two-year randomized controlled trial. Therapeutic Patient Education 1(1):3-11, 2009. PMID: 20076768
- Anderson RM, Musch DC, Nwankwo RB, Wolf FM, Gillard ML, Oh MS, Fitzgerald JT, Johnson MW, Hiss RG: Personalized follow-up increases return rate at urban eye disease screening clinics for African Americans with diabetes: results of a randomized trial. Ethnicity & Disease 13:40-46, 2003.