- Conduct innovative research relevant to persons with spinal cord injury (SCI) and their families and health professionals.
- Educate persons with SCI, their families, the general public and professionals about SCI through our website, social media, newsletter, lectures, publications and special workshops.
- Work in collaboration with our US and global partners in the community, universities, and health care providers working in conjunction with the University of Michigan Health System to improve access to best treatments, high quality research and practices.
As Michigan Spinal Cord Injury System (MSCIS), we focus on the full range of needs of people with spinal cord injuries by providing all levels of care, and by conducting innovative research and education.
- To conduct both site-specific and collaborative research studies about spinal cord injury (SCI) and distribute the findings from this research through publications in peer-reviewed journals and conference presentations.
- To provide information about the findings of important new research conducted elsewhere through our SCI Lecture Series.
- To be involved in a continuum of comprehensive clinical services, beginning immediately after injury, proceeding through inpatient care, and continuing after discharge from the hospital through the Department's outpatient clinics and various support services. We help develop, deliver and evaluate innovative service programs to address the physical and psychosocial needs of people with SCI that are frequently unmet through traditional rehabilitation.
- To engage in outreach activities that promote full community participation. We do this through our partnership with community agencies.
- To provide information regarding living effectively with SCI to our patients, their family members, and other interested parties through our SCI Access newsletter, social media including Facebook and Twitter as well as consumer-oriented lectures.
For information about the University of Michigan Spinal Cord Injury Model System research and education activities, please contact:
U-M Michigan Spinal Cord Injury System
325 E. Eisenhower Parkway
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
E-mail: SCI-Model-System@umich.edu (Note: Please contact your doctor for urgent medical concerns)