The University of Michigan Community Amputee Network (U-CAN) meets the first Tuesday of each month, 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., at the University of Michigan Orthotics and Prosthetics Center (UMOPC), 2850 South Industrial Hwy, Suite 400, Ann Arbor, MI 48104.
Click here for a meeting flyer.
For driving directions to our facility, click here. (There is a Google Map at this site)
Our goal is to help amputees, people with limb loss or limb difference, and their families cope with the initial shock of loss by helping them regain control of their life through education, compassion, and encouragement. Amputees have the ability to do virtually anything they want to do and we do!
Our meetings usually have a presentation for the first hour. After the presentation, we share information and have time for questions, answers and discussion. An important part of the group is time for socializing and physical activities that exercise the mind as well as the body. Please join us as we all learn together. Light refreshments are served.
- Has a growing peer mentoring network that matches experienced amputees with new amputees in similar circumstances.
- Reaches out to parents who have children with limb loss or limb difference. We meet several times a year with activities for the children and discussion time for parents.
- ACT (Amputees Creating a new Tomorrow) is a six week class that provides information for new amputees and their family or caregiver. Class information covers: phantom pain, driving, physical therapy, body image, employment, and much more.
- Provides information for people before an amputation. We can share information and support as you go through this live altering surgery.
- Check out our monthly U-CAN Newsletter here.
Click here to make a donation! Select Amputee Support Group Fund - 311702 and follow the prompts. U-CAN exists because of the generosity of donors so thank you for helping us to help others know that there is Life after Amputation!
For more information please contact:
Carla Vollmer, Limb Loss Support Coordinator
Brittany Shupe-Sawyer, LMSW, Clinical Social Worker
Click on Lefty and read the article by A. Trevor Sutton Limb-Loss Support Group Gets a Leg Up With Lefty as published in Social Work Today
- Amputee Resources 2020.pdf
- email U-CAN-Michigan@umich.edu or call Carla at 734-975-7432 for more information
- Ann Arbor's Center for Independent Living:
- Your place for Information, Education, Life Skills, Sports, Recreation and more
- Diabetes-Related Support Groups (click here to find support groups related for "Adults Living with Type 1 Diabetes," "Type 2 Diabetes Support Group" and "Diabetes Support Group for Seniors 60+"
For further information on amputation and limb loss please see:
- Amputee Coalition http://www.amputee-coalition.org/
- inMotion a free online magazine published by Amputee Coalition
- A free online magazine published by Amplitude Media Group.