- Real-time electromagnetic guidance for tumor localization
- Determination of accumulated delivered dose from real-time tracking data
Dr. Litzenberg joined the Department of Radiation Oncology in 1997 after completing his PhD in Physics at the University of Michigan. He completed his post-doctoral training in the department and joined the faculty in 2002. His primary research interests include the use of real-time electromagnetic guidance for tumor localization, and the implementation and integration of new technologies. He was the first to implement and fully integrate a six degree of freedom patient-positioning system with daily image guidance for targeting moving tumors. He was an early pioneer in studying the effect of magnetic fields on radiation therapy beams, and also of real-time electromagnetic tracking of moving tumors.
Dr. Litzenberg is currently spending half his time at our new clinic in Brighton. Several features on the newest treatment machines were invented or inspired by his previous clinical research and are now being implemented into routine clinical use to improve treatment accuracy.
Areas of Interest
- Stereotactic brain radiosurgery
- Total body irradiation
- Electromagnetic tracking for real-time targeting of prostate and liver tumors
- Quality assurance
- PhD, University of Michigan, 1997
- Board Certification: American Board of Radiology, Therapeutic Medical Physics
- 5 P01 CA059827-20 (PI: Lawrence/TenHaken), 5/15/2014-4/30/2019, National Institutes of Health: Optimization of hig dose conformal therapy, Role: Co-Investigator
Selected from 44 publications
- Mayo C, Yao J, Eisbruch A, Balter J,Litzenberg D, Matuszak M, Kessler M, Weyburn G, Anderson C, Owen D, Jackson W, Ten Haken R: Incorporating Big Data into Treatment Plan Evaluation – Development of Statistical DVH Metrics and Visualization Dashboards Advances in Radiation Oncology 37: 1-12, 2017.
- Jackson WC, Dess RT, Litzenberg DW, Pin L, Schipper M, Rosenthal SA, Chang GC, Horwitz EM, Li J, Michalski JM, Gay HA, Wei FYJ, Feng, Sandler HM, Wallace RE, Spratt DE, Hamstra DA: A multiinstitutional phase II trial of prostate stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) utilizing continuous real time evaluation of prostate motion with patient reported quality of life PRO 8: 40-47, 2018.
- Litzenberg DW, Muenz D, Archer PG, Jackson WC, Hamstra DA, Hearn JW, Schipper MJ and Spratt DE: Changes in Prostate Orientation Due to Removal of a Foley Catheter MedPhys doi: 10.1002/mp.12830 (45): 1369-1378, 2018. 44. Mayo CS, Roberts DA, Simiele S, Mikell J, Pillianayagam M, Litzenberg DW, Kamp J, Archer PA, Yanke Dale William Litzenberg Dec 14, 2018 8 of 11
- Mayo CS, Roberts DA, Simiele S, Mikell J, Pillianayagam M, Litzenberg DW, Kamp J, Archer PA, Yanke B, Wilkie J, Younge KC: Results from application of scripted based, algorithmic approach to multi-target SRS planning, evaluation and characterization of volume dependent metrics CST 3(3): 1-7, 2018.