Prior to joining the faculty at Michigan Medicine, Dr. Novak served on the Patient Rights and Organizational Ethics Committee for two years. She also served as Chair of the Resident and Fellow Forum at her previous institution, delivering feedback from trainees to institutional leadership and Graduate Medical Education. On a national level, Dr. Novak serves on multiple advocacy-oriented committees and organizations. Dr. Novak serves on the American Society for Radiation Oncology Government Relations and Payer Relations Committees. Dr. Novak has attended several of the annual ASTRO Advocacy Conferences and is the recipient of the ASTRO Advocacy travel grant to attend this year's conference in Washington D.C. These conferences provide an opportunity for radiation oncologists to meet with members of U.S. Congress to discuss health policy as it relates to oncology. She also served as Chair of Events and Outreach for the Society for Women in Radiation Oncology, whose mission is to promote gender equity in the field of radiation oncology.
Dr. Novak's research has been largely driven by her passion for advocacy, both as it relates to her patients as well as to her field. Dr. Novak has published as first author and has presented research at academic conferences on advocacy-related topics including prior authorization and insurance-related treatment delays.
Dr. Novak is a dedicated mentor and educator. As chief resident, Dr. Novak led weekly mock oral board didactics sessions for residents as well as monthly topic reviews. She has presented quarterly at journal clubs attended by residents and community radiation oncologists. She also led case-based discussions via webinar for radiation oncologists within the community for purposes of continuing medical education.
Areas of Interest
- Gender Equity in Academic Medicine
- Geriatric Oncology
- Disparities in Health Care
- High-Dose Rate Brachytherapy
- Gynecological Cancer
- Breast Cancer
Honors & Awards
2020 Travel Grant Recipient, American Society for Radiation Oncology Advocacy Day
- MD, Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, Grand Rapids, MI, 2017
- MS, Immunology and Infectious Disease, Loyola University Chicago, Chicago, IL, 2013
- BS, Cell and Molecular Biology, Spanish, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2011
- Chief Resident, Chief Resident in Radiation Oncology, City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center, Duarte, CA
- Residency, Radiation Oncology, City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center, Duarte, CA
- Internship, Transitional Year Program, Presence Resurrection Medical Center, Chicago, IL
A Randomized Clinical Trial Comparing Supplemental Topical Treatments for Acute Radiation Dermatitis in Breast Cancer Patients; Co-Principal Investigators: Jennifer Novak and Scott Glaser. 9/2020-present
- Welker E, Novak J, Jelsma L, Koehler T, Davis A, DeCou J, Durkin E. Continuous hemoglobin monitoring in pediatric trauma patients with solid organ injury. J Pediatr Surg. 2018 Oct;53(10):2055-2058. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2017.12.015. Epub 2017 Dec 27. PMID: 29448986.
- Shinde A, Novak J, Freeman ML, Glaser S, Amini A. Induction of the Abscopal Effect with Immunotherapy and Palliative Radiation in Metastatic Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Cureus. 2019 Mar 7;11(3):e4201. doi: 10.7759/cureus.4201. PMID: 31114720; PMCID: PMC6505722.
- Nguyen KNB, Hause DJ, Novak J, Monjazeb AM, Daly ME. Tumor Control and Toxicity after SBRT for Ultracentral, Central, and Paramediastinal Lung Tumors. Pract Radiat Oncol. 2019 Mar;9(2):e196-e202. doi: 10.1016/j.prro.2018.11.005. Epub 2018 Nov 26. PMID: 30496842; PMCID: PMC6402805.
- Shinde A, Novak J, Amini A, Chen YJ. The evolving role of radiation therapy for resectable and unresectable gastric cancer. Transl Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019 Aug 30;4:64. doi: 10.21037/tgh.2019.08.06. PMID: 31559345; PMCID: PMC6737448.
- Li R, Shinde A, Novak J, Vapiwala N, Beriwal S, Amini A, Chen YJ, Glaser S. Temporal Trends of Resident Experience in External Beam Radiation Therapy Cases: Analysis of ACGME Case Logs from 2007 to 2018. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2020 Jan 1;106(1):37-42. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2019.06.2466. Epub 2019 Jun 21. PMID: 31229573.
- Shinde A, Vazquez J, Novak J, Sedrak MS, Amini A. The role of comprehensive geriatric assessment in radiation oncology. J Geriatr Oncol. 2020 Mar;11(2):194-196. doi: 10.1016/j.jgo.2019.08.012. Epub 2019 Aug 29. PMID: 31474473.
- Li R, Vazquez J, Novak J, Sedrak M, Warner S, Glaser S, Chen YJ, Dale W, Amini A. Patterns of care and treatment outcomes in patients age 80 or older with non-metastatic pancreatic cancer. J Geriatr Oncol. 2020 May;11(4):652-659. doi: 10.1016/j.jgo.2019.12.006. Epub 2019 Dec 26. Erratum in: J Geriatr Oncol. 2020 Nov 22;: PMID: 31883970.
- Novak J, Du D, Shinde A, Li R, Amini A, Chen YJ, Wong J, Han C, Neylon J, Liu A, Glaser S. Setup Accuracy in Craniospinal Irradiation: Implications for Planning Treatment Volume Margins. Adv Radiat Oncol. 2021 Jul 4;6(5):100747. doi: 10.1016/j.adro.2021.100747. PMID: 34646966; PMCID: PMC8498716.
- Novak J, Cui Y, Frankel P, Sedrak MS, Glaser S, Li R, Motwani S, Kavanagh B, Amini A. Growth of the Social #RadOnc Network on Twitter. Pract Radiat Oncol. 2021 May-Jun;11(3):e263-e266. doi: 10.1016/j.prro.2020.09.008. Epub 2020 Sep 28. PMID: 32992029.
- Novak J, Liu J, Zou X, Abuali T, Vazquez J, Kalash R, Evans B, Loscalzo MJ, Sun V, Brower J, Amini A. Radiation oncologist perceptions of therapeutic cannabis use among cancer patients. Support Care Cancer. 2021 Oct;29(10):5991-5997. doi: 10.1007/s00520-021-06160-6. Epub 2021 Mar 26. PMID: 33768374.
- Ladbury C, Germino E, Novak J, Liu J, Horne Z, Dyer B, Glaser S. Combination radiation and immunotherapy in gynecologic malignancies-a comprehensive review. Transl Cancer Res. 2021 May;10(5):2609-2619. doi: 10.21037/tcr-20-3019. PMID: 35116574; PMCID: PMC8797685.
- Amaya D, Shinde A, Wohlers C, Wong KCC, Novak J, Neylon J, Han C, Liu A, Dandapani S, Glaser S. Dosimetric comparison of multiple vs single isocenter technique for linear accelerator-based stereotactic radiosurgery: The Importance of the six degree couch. J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2021 Jun;22(6):45-49. doi: 10.1002/acm2.13286. Epub 2021 May 21. PMID: 34021698; PMCID: PMC8200442.
- Ladbury C, Liu J, Novak J, Amini A, Glaser S. Age, racial, and ethnic disparities in reported clinical studies involving brachytherapy. Brachytherapy. 2022 Jan-Feb;21(1):33-42. doi: 10.1016/j.brachy.2021.06.150. Epub 2021 Aug 8. PMID: 34376369.
- Novak J, Goldberg A, Dharmarajan K, Amini A, Maggiore RJ, Presley CJ, Nightingale G. Polypharmacy in older adults with cancer undergoing radiotherapy: A review. J Geriatr Oncol. 2022 Feb 25:S1879-4068(22)00035-2. doi: 10.1016/j.jgo.2022.02.007. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35227626.