Department of Family Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
300 North Ingalls Street, NI4C06
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-5435
Department of Family Medicine
Dr. Heidelbaugh received his medical degree from Upstate Medical University at Syracuse in 1996, and completed his Family Medicine residency at St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center, also in Syracuse, New York, in 1999. He is board-certified by the American Board of Family Medicine. He currently serves as the Director of Medical Student Education and Clerkship Director.
Dr. Heidelbaugh is actively involved in teaching both medical students and residents at Ypsilanti Health Center, and attends on the Department of Family Medicine's inpatient adult medicine at the University of Michigan Hospital. While he practices full spectrum family medicine (except active obstetrics), his clinical interests include preventive health screening for men, women and children of all ages; chronic disease management (e.g. diabetes, cardiovascular disease); comprehensive men's health; urologic and gastrointestinal conditions; and many office-based procedures.
Dr. Heidelbaugh is a member of the editorial board of the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM) National Journal Club which was created in 2020 to provide diplomates of the ABFM with evidence-based appraisals of current literature and to offer credit for maintenance of certification. Since 2007, he has served as the Consulting Editor for Primary Care Clinics in Office Practice, and is also an editorial board member of the American Academy of Family Physicians CME Monograph series, FP Essentials. He currently serves on the Board of Trustees for the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM). He is a co-editor and co-author of Case Files in Family Medicine, 5th edition and has contributed as a test question writer and editor for the National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) Family Medicine "shelf" examination.
Dr. Heidelbaugh's Clinical Practice
Areas of Interest
- Guideline development for gastrointestinal and urologic conditions
- Primary care management of irritable bowel syndrome and functional gastrointestinal disorders
- Factors that influence medical student career choice
- Prostate cancer screening
- Male sexual dysfunction
- Preventive health maintenance and well exams for men, women and children of all ages
- Chronic disease management
- Men's health and primary care urology (sexual dysfunction, testosterone deficiency)
- Gastroenterology (gastroesophageal reflux disease [GERD], irritable bowel syndrome, dyspepsia)
- Office-based procedures (skin biopsies, joint injections, ingrown toenail removal)
- Prenatal care
- Primary Care urology
- Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, N.Y., 1996
- St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center, Syracuse, N.Y., 1999
- Fellow, American Academy of Family Physicans (FAAFP)
- Fellow, American College of Gastroenterology (FACG)
- Member, Society of Teachers of Family Medicine
- Member, American Urological Association
- Member, American Society for Men's Health
- Family Medicine
Published Articles or Reviews
- Heidelbaugh JJ, Hadj-Moussa M. Men’s Health: Prostate cancer screening. FP Essent 2021;503:11-17.
- Crockett SD, Greer KB, Heidelbaugh JJ, Falck-Ytter Y, Hanson BJ, Sultan S. American Gastroenterological Association Institute Guideline on the Medical Management of Opioid-Induced Constipation. Gastroenterology 2019;156(1):218–226.
- Burnett AL, Nehra A, Breau RH, Culkin DJ, Faraday MM, Hakim LS, Heidelbaugh JJ, Khera M, McVary KT, Miner MM, Nelson CJ, Sadeghi-Nejad H, Seftel AD, Shindel AW. Erectile Dysfunction: AUA Guideline (2018). J Urol 2018;200(3):633-641.
- Miner MM, Heidelbaugh JJ, Paulos M, Seftel AD, Jameson J, Kaplan SA. The intersection of medicine and urology: an emerging paradigm of sexual function, cardiometabolic risk, bone health, and men’s health centers. Med Clin N Am 2018;102:399–415.
- Epling J, Heidelbaugh JJ, Mader E, Woolever DR, Mi M, Castelli G, Morley C. Examining an “EBM Culture” in Residency Education. Family Medicine 2018;50(10):751-755.
- Heidelbaugh JJ. The adult well male examination. Am Fam Physician 2018;98(12):729-737.
- Cooke JM, Wimsatt L, Biggs W, Heidelbaugh JJ. Institution-specific factors associated with Family Medicine residency match rates. Teach Learn Med 2016;28(3):269-278.
- Rubenstein JH, Enns R, Heidelbaugh JJ, Barkun A. American Gastroenterological Association Institute Guideline on the Diagnosis and Management of Lynch Syndrome. Gastroenterology 2015;149:777-782.
- Nehra A, Alterowitz R, Culkin DJ, Faraday MM, Hakim LS, Heidelbaugh JJ, Khera M, Kirkby E, McVary KT, Miner MM, Nelson CJ, Sadeghi-Nejad H, Seftel AD, Shindel AW, Burnett AL. Peyronie’s Disease: AUA Guideline (2015). J Urol 2015;194(3):745-753.
- Hungin APS, Becher A, Cayley B, Heidelbaugh JJ, Muris WM, Rubin G, Seifert B, Russell A, De Wit NJ. Irritable bowel syndrome: an integrated explanatory model for clinical practice. Neurogastroenterol Motil 2015;27(6):750-753.
- Weinberg DS, Smalley W, Heidelbaugh JJ, Sultan S. American Gastroenterological Association Institute Guideline on the Pharmacological Management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Gastroenterology 2014;147(5):1146-1148.
- Terdiman JP, Gruss C, Heidelbaugh JJ, Sultan S, Falck-Ytter YT, and the AGA Institute Clinical Practice and Quality Management Committee. American Gastroenterological Association Institute Guideline on the Use of Thiopurines, Methotrexate and Anti-TNF-α Biologic Drugs for the Induction and Maintenance of Remission in Inflammatory Crohn’s Disease. Gastroenterology 2013;145(6):1459-1463.