Physical Activity Daily (PAD) Trial
Caroline R. Richardson, M.D., Co-Investigator
A randomized clinical trial to examine the effectiveness of an internet-based walking program compared to a telephone intervention, or the combination (internet-based with telephone counseling) for promotion of regular walking in patients with peripheral arterial disease. NCT02767895
Trial protocol citation: Kumar AM, Lyden AK, Carlozzi NE, Sen A, Richardson CR, Jackson EA. The Physical Activity Daily (PAD) Trial: The rationale and design of a randomized controlled trial evaluating an internet walking program to improve maximal walking distance among patients with peripheral arterial disease. Contemporary Clinical Trials. December 2017. doi: 10.1016/j.cct.2017.12.009.
Effectiveness of an Automated Walking Program Targeting Veterans with COPD
Caroline R. Richardson, M.D., Principal Investigator
Funded by Veterans Administration Merit Award
This study is a two-arm randomized controlled trial of Stepping Up to Health (SUH), an automated Internet-mediated walking program. This study targets veterans with COPD. The three aims of the study are to evaluate the effectiveness of SUH to improve health-related quality of life and reduce hospitalizations in veterans with COPD, and to compare reach, participation and satisfaction between rural and urban subject.
Health Check-Up for Expectant Moms: Computer Intervention for HIV/STI Risk and Drug Use During Pregnancy
Golfo Tzilos, Ph.D., Principal Investigator
Funded by the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD)
HIV and other sexually transmitted infections (STIs) risk and alcohol/drug use during pregnancy are interconnected problems - both are associated with numerous negative consequences for the woman and the developing fetus. Yet, virtually no interventions have been developed or tested to target both of these serious health concerns during pregnancy. This study will:
Design and develop Health Check-up for Expectant Moms (HCEM), a computer-delivered brief intervention that targets both the risk for HIV/STIs and alcohol/drug use among low-income pregnant women
Determine the effect of HCEM in two-group, RCT
Inform the development of integrated HIV/STI and substance use interventions that are cost-effective, high-reaching, and widely disseminable within prenatal care.
Telemonitoring Enhanced Informal Caregiving to Support Diabetes Self Management
James E. Aikens, Ph.D., Principal Investigator
Ananda Sen, Ph.D., Co-Investigator
Funded by National Institutes of Health
We propose a community-based RCT to test the hypothesis that providing formal support to "CarePartners" (CPs) (non-household family members) improves glycemic control, diabetes mellitus (DM)-related distress, and DM self-management.
MI-BP: mHealth to Improve Blood Pressure Control in Hypertensive African Americans
Lorraine Buis, PhD, MSI, Principle Investigator
Funded by the National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute ($2,970,128)
This study seeks to improve hypertension-related outcomes in a cohort of African Americans with uncontrolled hypertension between the ages of 25 and 55, through the use of MI-BP, a comprehensive, multiple health behavior change mobile intervention. This research is guided by three specific aims:
- Determine the effect of MI-BP on blood pressure control at one year, compared with usual care controls, in a one-year RCT.
- Determine the effect of MI-BP on secondary outcomes (physical activity, sodium intake, medication adherence) compared to usual care controls, in a one-year RCT.
- Evaluate the cost-effectiveness of MI-BP compared to usual care methods.
Infographics and Media
- Senteio C, Veinot T, Adler-Milstein J, Richardson CR. Physicians’ perceptions of the impact of the EHR on the collection and retrieval of psychosocial information in outpatient diabetes care. International Journal of Medical Informatics. 2018;113:9-16. doi:10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2018.02.003.
- Braciszewski JM, Wernette GKT, Moore RS, et al. Developing a tailored substance use intervention for youth exiting foster care. Child Abuse & Neglect. 2018;77:211-221. doi:10.1016/j.chiabu.2018.01.013.
- Kumar AM, Lyden AK, Carlozzi NE, Sen A, Richardson CR, Jackson EA. The Physical Activity Daily (PAD) Trial: The rationale and design of a randomized controlled trial evaluating an internet walking program to improve maximal walking distance among patients with peripheral arterial disease. Contemporary Clinical Trials. 2017. doi:10.1016/j.cct.2017.12.009.
- Cohen AJ, Lachance LL, Richardson CR, Mahmoudi E, et al. “Doubling Up” on Produce at Detroit Farmers Markets: Patterns and Correlates of Use of a Healthy Food Incentive. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. In-Press Corrected Proof available online 12 Dec 2017. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2017.10.005
- Min L, Cigolle CT, Bernstein SJ, et al. Diabetes Care Improvement in Pharmacist- Versus Nurse-Supported Patient-Centered Medical Homes. Am J Manag Care. 2017;23(11):e374-e381.
- Janney CA, Brzoznowski KF, Richardson CR, et al. Moving Towards Wellness: Physical activity practices, perspectives, and preferences of users of outpatient mental health service. General Hospital Psychiatry. 2017;49:63-66. doi:10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2017.07.004.
- Buis LR, Roberson DN, Kadri R, et al. Utilizing Consumer Health Informatics to Support Management of Hypertension by Clinical Pharmacists in Primary Care: Study Protocol. JMIR Research Protocols. 2017;6(10). doi:10.2196/resprot.8059.
- Wan ES, Kantorowski A, Homsy D, Teylan M, Kadri R, Richardson CR, et al. Promoting physical activity in COPD: Insights from a randomized trial of a web-based intervention and pedometer use. Respiratory Medicine. 2017 Sept; 130:102-110. doi: 10.1016/j.rmed.2017.07.057.
- Assari S, Lee D, Nicklett EJ, Moghani Lankarani M, Piette J, and Aikens J. Gender, racial discrimination in health care, and glycemic control among Black patients with diabetes. Front. Public Health. 5 Aug 2017 (in-press, abstract available online). doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2017.00235
Sarinopoulos I, Bechel-Marriott DL, Malouin JM, Zhai S, Forney JC, Tanner CL. Patient Experience with the Patient-Centered Medical Home in Michigan's Statewide
Multi-Payer Demonstration: A Cross-Sectional Study. J Gen Intern Med. 2017 Aug 14. doi: 10.1007/s11606-017-4139-2.
- Assari S, Lankarani MM, Piette JD, Aikens JE. Self-Rated Health and Glycemic
Control in Type 2 Diabetes: Race by Gender Differences. J Racial Ethn Health
Disparities. 2017 Aug 4. doi: 10.1007/s40615-017-0416-3. [Epub ahead of print]
- Assari S, Lee DB, Nicklett EJ, Lankarani MM, Piette JD, Aikens JE. Racial Discrimination in Health Care Is Associated with Worse Glycemic Control among Black Men but Not Black Women with Type 2 Diabetes. Frontiers in Public Health. 2017;5. doi:10.3389/fpubh.2017.00235.
- Damschroder LJ, Reardon CM, AuYoung M, Moin T, Datta SK, Sparks JB, Maciejewski ML, Steinle NI, Weinreb JE, Hughes M, Pinault LF, Xiang XM, Billington C, Richardson CR. Implementation findings from a hybrid III implementation-effectiveness trial of the Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) in the Veterans Health Administration (VHA). Implement Sci. 2017 Jul 26;12(1):94. doi: 10.1186/s13012-017-0619-3.
- Wan ES, Kantorowski A, Homsy D, Teylan M, Kadri R, Richardson CR, et al. Promoting physical activity in COPD: Insights from a randomized trial of a web-based intervention and pedometer use (in-press). Respiratory Medicine, Available online 25 July 2017. doi: 10.1016/j.rmed.2017.07.057
- Byhoff E, Cohen AJ et al. Screening for Social Determinants of Health in Michigan Health Centers. J Am Board Fam Med, 2017 Jul-Aug; 30(4):418-427. doi: 10.3122/jabfm.2017.04.170079.
- Tzilos GK, Hade EM, Ruffin IV MT, et al. Correlates of Risky Alcohol Use Among Women From Appalachian Ohio. Journal of Rural Mental Health, 8 June 2017. DOI: 10.1037/rmh0000067
- Djuric Z, Segar M, Orizondo C, Mann J, Faison M, Peddireddy N, Paletta M, Locke A. Delivery of Health Coaching by Medical Assistants in Primary Care. J Am Board Fam Med. 2017 May-Jun;30(3):362-370. doi: 10.3122/jabfm.2017.03.160321
- Braciszewski JM, Tran TB, Moore RS,Bock BC, Tzilos GK, Chamberlain P, Stout RL. Developing a Tailored Texting Preventive Intervention: A Card Sort Methodology. Journal of Applied Biobehavioral Research. 19 April 2017. doi: 10.1111/jabr.12060 [Epub ahead of print]
- Kahler CW, Cioe PA, Tzilos GK, Spillane NS, Leggio L, Ramsey SE, Brown RA, O'Malley SS. A Double-Blind Randomized Placebo-Controlled Trial of Oral Naltrexone for Heavy Drinking Smokers Seeking Smoking Cessation Treatment. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2017 Apr 12. doi: 10.1111/acer.13396 [Epub ahead of print]
- Hafez D, Nelson DB, Martin EG, Cohen AJ, Northway R,Kullgren JT. Understanding type 2 diabetes mellitus screening practices among primary care physicians: a qualitative chart-stimulated recall study. BMC Family Practice. 4 April 2017. doi: 10.1186/s12875-017-0623-3
- Kullgren JT, Youles B, Shetty S, Richardson CR, Fagerlin A, Heisler M. ForgIng New paths in DIabetes PrevenTion (FINDIT): Study Protocol for a Randomized Controlled Trial. Trials. 2017 Apr 8;18(1):167. doi: 10.1186/s13063-017-1887-6
- AuYoung M, Damschroder LJ, Kinsinger L, Moin T, Richardson CR. Practical partnered research to improve weight loss among overweight/obese veterans: lessons from the trenches. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2017 Mar 29;17(1):50. doi: 10.1186/s12874-017-0321-9
- Lee PG, Jackson EA, Richardson CR. Exercise Prescriptions in Older Adults. Am Fam Physician. 2017 Apr 1;95(7):425-432.
- Bian RR, Piatt GA, Sen A, Plegue MA, De Michele ML, Hafez D, Czuhajewski CM, Buis LR, Kaufman N, Richardson CR. The Effect of Technology-Mediated Diabetes Prevention Interventions on Weight: A Meta-Analysis. J Med Internet Res 2017;19(3):e76 DOI: 10.2196/jmir.4709
- Janney CA, , Robin M. Masheb RM, Lesley D. Lutes LD, Robert G. Holleman RG, Kim HM, Gillon LR, Damschroder LJ, Richardson CR. Mental health and behavioral weight loss: 24-month outcomes in Veterans. Journal of Affective Disorders. Available online 11 March 2017. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2017.03.003
- Lutes LD, Damschroder LJ, Masheb R, Kim HM, Gillon L, Holleman RG, Goodrich DE, Lowery JC, Janney C, Kirsh S, Richardson CR. Behavioral Treatment for Veterans with Obesity: 24-Month Weight Outcomes from the ASPIRE-VA Small Changes Randomized Trial. J Gen Intern Med. 7 March 2017 in-press. doi: 10.1007/s11606-017-3987-0
- Buis L, Hirzel L, Dawood RM, et al. Text Messaging to Improve Hypertension Medication Adherence in African Americans From Primary Care and Emergency Department Settings: Results From Two Randomized Feasibility Studies. J Med Internet Res. 2017 Feb; 5(2). doi: 10.2196/mhealth.6630(link is external)
- Schwartz DD, Stewart SD, Aikens JE, et al. Seeing the Person, Not the Illness: Promoting Diabetes Medication Adherence Through Patient-Centered Collaboration. Clinical Diabetes 2017 Jan; 35(1): 35-42. doi: 10.2337/cd16-0007
- Cohen AJ, Richardson CR, Heisler M, Sen A, Murphy EC, Hesterman OB, Davis MM, Zick SM. Increasing Use of a Healthy Food Incentive: A Waiting Room Intervention Among Low-Income Patients. American Journal of Preventive Medicine Volume 52, Issue 2, February 2017, Pages 154–162. DOI: 10.1016/j.amepre.2016.11.008
- Moin T, Damschroder LJ, AuYoung M, Maciejewski ML, Datta SK, Weinreb JE, Steinle NI, Billington C6, Hughes M, Makki F, Holleman RG, Kim HM, Jeffreys AS, Kinsinger LS, Burns JA, Richardson CR. Diabetes Prevention Program Translation in the Veterans Health Administration. Am J Prev Med. 2017 Jan 13. pii: S0749-3797(16)30584-0. doi: 10.1016/j.amepre.2016.11.009.
- Zivin K, Sen A, Plegue MA, Maciejewski ML, Segar ML, AuYoung M, Miller EM, Janney CA, Zulman DM, Richardson CR. Comparative Effectiveness of Wellness Programs: Impact of Incentives on Healthcare Costs for Obese Enrollees. Am J Prev Med. March 2017, 52(3):347–352. DOI: 10.1016/j.amepre.2016.10.006
- Stetson B, Minges KE, Richardson CR. New directions for diabetes prevention and management in behavioral medicine. J Behav Med. 2016 Oct 14.DOI: 10.1007/s10865-016-9802-2
- Chaddha A, Jackson EA, Richardson CR, Franklin BA. Technology to Help Promote Physical Activity. Am J Cardiol. 2016 Sep 29. pii: S0002-9149(16)31586-7. DOI: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2016.09.025
- Vogel ME, Kanzler KE, Aikens JE, Goodie JL. Integration of behavioral health and primary care: current knowledge and future directions. J Behav Med. 2016 Sep 30. DOI: 10.1007/s10865-016-9798-7
- Auyoung M, Linke SE, Pagoto S, Buman MP, Craft LL, Richardson CR, et al. Integrating Physical Activity in Primary Care Practice. Am J Med. 2016;129(10):1022-9. DOI: 10.1016/j.amjmed.2016.02.008
- Damschroder LJ, Goodrich DE, Kim HM, Hollerman R, Gillon L, Kirsh S, Richardson CR, Lutes LD. Development and validation of the ASPIRE-VA coaching fidelity checklist (ACFC): a tool to help ensure delivery of high-quality weight management interventions. Transl Behav Med. 2016;6(3):369-85. DOI: 10.1007/s13142-015-0336-x
- Moy ML, Martinez CH, Kadri R, Roman P, Holleman RG, Kim HM, Nguyen HQ, Cohen MD, Goodrich DE, Giardino ND, Richardson CR. Long-Term Effects of an Internet-Mediated Pedometer-Based Walking Program for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: Randomized Controlled Trial. J Med Internet Res. 2016;18(8):e215. DOI: 10.2196/jmir.5622
- Chang T, Ravi N, Plegue MA, Sonneville KR, Davis MM. Inadequate Hydration, BMI, and Obesity Among US Adults: NHANES 2009-2012. Ann Fam Med. 2016;14(4):320-4. DOI: 10.1370/afm.1951
- Wu JP, Gundersen DA, Pickle S. Are the Contraceptive Recommendations of Family Medicine Educators Evidence-Based? A CERA Survey. Fam Med. 2016;48(5):345-52. PMID: 27159092
- Wu JP, Kusunoki Y, Ela EJ, Barber JS. Patterns of Contraceptive Consistency among Young Adult Women in Southeastern Michigan: Longitudinal Findings Based on Journal Data. Womens Health Issues. 2016;26(3):305-12. DOI: 10.1016/j.whi.2016.02.007
- Braciszewski JM, Stout RL, Tzilos GK, Moore RS, Bock BC, Chamberlain P. Testing a Dynamic Automated Substance Use Intervention Model for Youths Exiting Foster Care. J Child Adolesc Subst Abuse. 2016;25(3):181-187. DOI: 10.1080/1067828X.2014.981771
- Heapy AA, Higgins DM, Lachappelle KM, Kirlin J, Goulet JL, Czlapinski RA, Buta E, Piette JD, Krein SL, Richardson CR, Kerns RD. Cooperative pain education and self-management (COPES): study design and protocol of a randomized non-inferiority trial of an interactive voice response-based self-management intervention for chronic low back pain. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2016;17:85. DOI: 10.1186/s12891-016-0924-z
- Janney CA, Kilbourne AM, Germain A, Lai Z, Hoerster KD, Goodrich DE, Klingaman EA, Verchinina L, Richardson CR. The Influence of Sleep Disordered Breathing on Weight Loss in a National Weight Management Program. Sleep. 2016;39(1):59-65. DOI: 10.5665/sleep.5318
- Stirratt MJ, Dunbar-jacob J, Crane HM, Simoni JM, Czajkowski S, Hilliard ME, Aikens JE, et al. Self-report measures of medication adherence behavior: recommendations on optimal use. Transl Behav Med. 2015;5(4):470-82. DOI: 10.1007/s13142-015-0315-2
Collaborative Partners and External Affiliations
- American Journal of Preventive Medicine, Caroline R. Richardson, MD, serves as Associate Editor. Ananda Sen, PhD, serves as Statistics Editor.
In the News
November 13, 2017: New Research: Obesity may interfere with effective dosing of common cancer-preventive supplement
A new study, led by Zora Djuric, seeks to understand the biochemical impact of obesity on the effectiveness of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids in colon cancer prevention.
November 9, 2017: New Research: Patients want exercise as integral component of the depression treatment plan
New collaborative research from Michigan State University and the University of Michigan suggests that more mental health providers may want to take a closer look at including exercise in their patients' treatment plans.
November 4, 2017: Presentations at the American Public Health Association annual meeting
This November, three family medicine physician-researchers head to Atlanta, Georgia, to share their work with the public health community, at the annual meeting of the American Public Health Association (APHA).
October 31, 2017: U-M Family Medicine presents at 2017 North American Primary Care Research Group (NAPCRG) annual meeting
Several faculty members from our research division will present their work in at the 2017 NAPCRG annual meeting this fall. NAPCRG is the premier gathering of primary care researchers from around the world.
October 6, 2017: New Research: Why Screening for Social Determinants of Health Helps Doctors Provide Better Care
New research from Alicia Cohen, M.D. in the Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine examines the questions that community health centers ask to address health disparities.
June 14, 2017: New Research: Risky Bingeing: Women in Appalachian Ohio Report Higher Rates of Alcohol Misuse
Assistant professor Golfo Tzilos and professor emeritus Mack T. Ruffin IV examined binge drinking habits and associated risk factors in rural Appalacia in a new study published in the Journal of Rural Mental Health.
A new meta-analysis published in the Journal of Medical Internet Research found that significant weight loss can be achieved with digital translations of diabetes prevention programs.
New research by Tammy Chang, M.D., M.P.H., M.S., identified factors associated with unhealthy weight gain during pregnancy for a vulnerable subset of mothers, those aged 15 to 24.
February 21, 2017: Text Message Alerts Help Patients with Hypertension Remember to Take Meds
In a new study from assistant professor Lorraine Buis, mobile reminders boosted medication adherence in high blood pressure patients.
January 19, 2017: From Farm to Clinic: Addressing community food security with no-cost clinic intervention
New research, led by Alicia Cohen, M.D., M.Sc., tap into a simple way to encourage healthier eating habits among low-income families by promoting a program that increases the value of food stamps when spent on fruits and vegetables.
August 9, 2016: Pedometer Use Wanes at 12 Months
A study in JMIR finds that pedometer use, although efficacious at 4 months, is much lower at 12 months.