Depiction of Smoking in Japanese Mangas
Masahito Jimbo, M.D., Ph.D., M.P.H., Principal Investigator
The Center for Japanese Studies
The goal of this study is to determine if there is a significant difference in the dejection of smoking among the ten Japanese mangas most popular in Japan and the United States, respectively, and the ten American non-manga comics most popular in the United States.
The Japan-U.S. Medical Education and Exchange Project of the University of Michigan
Michael D. Fetters, M.D., M.P.H., M.A., Principal Investigator
Funded by Japanese Business Society of Detroit Foundation
The purpose of this project is to continue educational lectures for the Japanese community at the Japanese Business Society of Detroit. This project will continue development of culturally appropriate educational materials for Japanese patients. It will assess overseas Japanese people's lifestyle changes to determine what interventions are necessary to reduce their medical risks from exposure to unhealthy aspects of U.S. lifestyles.
Perinatal Mental Health Prevalence and Needs Assessment in Ghana, West Africa
Katherine J. Gold, M.D., M.S.W., M.S., Principal Investigator
Funded by University of Michigan GlobalREACH, Small Group Research and Educational Travel Grants
This project aims to use medical students to collect primary data to determine the prevalence of postpartum depression among mothers in Ghana, West Africa presenting with a sick infant for care at an urban teaching hospital.
Shizuoka-University of Michigan Advanced Residency Training and Exchange Research in Family Medicine (SMARTER Family Medicine) Project
Michael D. Fetters, M.D., M.P.H., M.A., Principal Investigator
Funded by Shizuoka Prefectural Government, Japan
Culturally This proposal seeks to develop a Japan/US training exchange to provide advanced and clinical teaching skills to Japanese Family Physicians in both inpatient and outpatient community settings. Since family medicine training should occur in the setting where it will be practiced, we propose to establish and evaluate the effectiveness of koki family medicine residency training programs in Mori Machi and Kikugawa Cho in Shizuoka Prefecture.
- Toma G, Guetterman TC, Yaqub T, Talaat N, Fetters MD. A systematic approach for accurate translation of instruments: Experience with translating the Connor–Davidson Resilience Scale into Arabic. Methodological Innovations. 2017;10(3):205979911774140. doi:10.1177/2059799117741406.
- Essuman A, Lawson H, Nortey D, Gyakobo M, Ofori-Amankwah G, Ndanu TA, Gold KJ. Five Years Of Family Medicine Undergraduate Education In Ghana: A Wake-Up Call! Ghana Med J. 2017 Jun;51(2):50-55. PMID: 28955100.
- Fetters MD, Chi C, Hu L. Insights on Developing General Practice Education in China. Acad Med. 2017 Oct;92(10):1365. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000001886.
- Shintani F, Fetters MD. Anorexia nervosa complicated with hiatal hernia and superior mesenteric artery syndrome: A case illustrating the risk of inference observation confusion. Journal of General and Family Medicine. 13 April 2017. doi: 10.1002/jgf2.26
- Abdelrahim H, Elnashar M, Khidir A, Killawi A, Hammoud M, Al-Khal AL & Fetters MD. Patient Perspectives on Language Discordance During Healthcare Visits: Findings From the Extremely High-Density Multicultural State of Qatar. Journal of Health Communication. 24 March 2017. doi: 10.1080/10810730.2017.1296507
- AlRawi SN, Khidir A, Elnashar MS, Abdelrahim HA, Killawi AK, Hammoud MM, Fetters MD. Traditional Arabic & Islamic medicine: validation and empirical assessment of a conceptual model in Qatar. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017 Mar 14;17(1):157. doi: 10.1186/s12906-017-1639-x.
- Lemaster JW, Broadbridge CL, Lumley MA, et al. Acculturation and Post-Migration Psychological Symptoms Among Iraqi Refugees: A Path Analysis. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry. 2017. doi:10.1037/ort0000240.
- Fetters MD, Motohara S, Ivey L, et al. Utility of self-competency ratings during residency training in family medicine education-emerging countries: findings from Japan. Asia Pac Fam Med. 2017 Jan 10;16:1. doi: 10.1186/s12930-016-0031-1
- Scruggs E, Guetterman TC, Meyer AC, VanArtsdalen J, and Heisler M. “An absolutely necessary piece”: A qualitative study of legal perspectives on medical affidavits in the asylum process. Journal of Forensic and Legal Medicine. 2016; 44: 72-78. DOI: 10.1016/j.jflm.2016.09.002
- Osawa T, Wittmann D, Jimbo M, et al. Providing prostate cancer survivorship care in Japan: Implications from the USA care model. Int J Urol. 2016;23(11):906-915. DOI: 10.1111/iju.13186
- Opoku CA, Browne EN, Spangenberg K, Moyer C, Kolbilla D, Gold KJ. Perception and risk factors for cervical cancer among women in northern Ghana. Ghana Med J. 2016;50(2):84-9. PMID: 27635096
- Khidir A, Asad H, Abdelrahim H, Elnashar M, Killawi A, Hammoud M, Al-Khal AL, Haddad P, Fetters MD. Patient responses to research recruitment and follow-up surveys: findings from a diverse multicultural health care setting in Qatar. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2016;16:10.
- Mckee MM, Paasche-orlow MK, Winters PC, et al. Assessing Health Literacy in Deaf American Sign Language Users. J Health Commun. 2015;20 Suppl 2:92-100. DOI: 10.1080/10810730.2015.1066468
- Gossa W, Wondimagegn D, Mekonnen D, Eshetu W, Abebe Z, Fetters MD. Key informants' perspectives on development of family medicine training programs in Ethiopia. Adv Med Educ Pract. 2016;7:261-9. DOI: 10.2147/AMEP.S94522
- Teo AR, Andrea SB, Sakakibara R, Motohara S, Matthieu MM, Fetters MD. Brief gatekeeper training for suicide prevention in an ethnic minority population: a controlled intervention. BMC Psychiatry. 2016;16:211. DOI: 10.1186/s12888-016-0924-4
Collaborative Partners and External Affiliates
In the News
January 24, 2017: Forging Family Medicine in Japan: A longitudinal look at the first cohort of family medicine residents in Shizuoka, Japan
A new publication reports on a four-year longitudinal study of the first family medicine training program in Japan
August 29, 2016: Dr. Fetters heads to China for cross-cultural Fulbright work
An interview with Dr. Michael Fetters on his recent Fulbright achievement and plans for research, teaching, and collaboration at Peking University Health Science Center.