Department of Family Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
1018 Fuller St.
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104-1213
Dr. Lorraine Buis is an Assistant Professor in the University of Michigan Department of Family Medicine where her research focuses on the use of communication technologies for health promotion and chronic disease self-management. Dr. Buis completed a postdoctoral research fellowship at the Ann Arbor VA Health Services Research & Development Center of Excellence after obtaining her PhD in Mass Media from the Michigan State University Department of Telecommunication, Information Studies, and Media. Additionally, she holds a Master’s of Science in Information degree with a specialization in Human Computer Interaction from the University of Michigan School of Information, as well as a Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Michigan State University.
- MSI, Specialization in Human Computer Interaction, University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, Mich., 2004
- Ph.D., Mass Media, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Mich., 2007
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Ann Arbor Veterans Affairs Health Services Research
and Development (HSR&D) Center of Excellence, Ann Arbor, Mich., 2009
- MI-BP: mHealth to Improve Blood Pressure Control in Hypertensive African Americans, NIH/NHLBI, Principal Investigator
- Mechanisms of Health Literacy and Information Accessibility in the Deaf, NIH/NIDCD, Co-Investigator (PI: McKee)
- A Short Course for Creating Integrative Oncology Leaders, NIH/NCI, Co-Investigator (PI: Zick)
- Reach Out: RCT of ED-initiated HTN Behavioral Intervention Connecting Multiple Health Systems, NIH/NIMHD, Co-Investigator (PI: Meurer / Skolarus)
- Accelerating Collaborative, Cumulative, and Open Intervention Science With an E-Intervention Authoring Platform, Wayne State University / NIH Prime, Site-PI (PI: Ondersma)
Latest Publications via PubMed
The most interesting thing I’ve learned throughout my career is…
that studying technology isn't about computers and devices... it's about people and how they use those tools.