Department of Family Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
1018 Fuller St.
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48104-1213
Department of Family Medicine
Dr. Klinkman is a professor in the University of Michigan Department of Family Medicine. He is also a practicing family physician at Briarwood Family Medicine and serves as the first Director of Primary Care Programs for the U-M Depression Center. In 2001, Dr. Klinkman created the Depression Center’s Primary Care Research Network.
Dr. Klinkman is currently working to create sustainable depression support programs for use in community primary care settings. He is working with the Jackson Health Network, a community-based partnership, to develop and test primary care interventions in "real-world" settings.
He sees patients at Briarwood Family Medicine →
Areas of Interest
- Mental health problems in primary care
- Development and evaluation of primary care practice support tools
- The role of information technology in primary care
- Clinical decision-making (focusing on patient perspectives and preferences)
- Content and process of episodes of care for common problems in
- Depression and mood disorders
- Office procedures
- Pediatric care
- M.D., University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Mich., 1982
- University of Michigan Health System, Department of Family Practice, Ann Arbor, Mich., 1985
- M.S., Family Medicine, Case Western Research University, Cleveland, Ohio, 1987
- Family Medicine, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio, 1987
- Family Medicine
- Michigan Institute for Clinical Health Research (MICHR), NIH/NCRR, Co-Investigator (PI: Shanley)
- Integrated Care for Medicaid Consumers with Behavioral Health Care Needs DHHS/Medicaid/Michigan State of Community Health, Co-Investigator (PI: Neal)
- Jackson Health Network, Jackson Health Network Consultation Project, Principal Investigator
Published Articles or Reviews
- Aikens JE, Klinkman MS. Changes in patients’ beliefs about their antidepressant during an acute phase of depression treatment. Gen Hosp Psychiatry, 2012;34(3):221-6.
- Gill JM, Chen YX, Grimes A, Klinkman MS. Using electronic health record-based tools to screen for bipolar disorder in primary care patients with depression. J Am Board Fam Med, 2012;25(3):283-90.
- Mohr DC, Burns MN, Schueller SM, Clark G, Klinkman M. Behavioral intervention technologies: Evedince review and recommendations for future research in mental health. Gen Hosp Psychiatry, 2013;35(4):332-8.
- Haberer JE, Trabin T, Klinkman M. Furthering the reliable and valid measurement of mental health screening, diagnoses, treatment and outcomes through health information technology. Gen Hosp Psychiatry, 2013;35(34):349-53.
- Lam TP, Goldberg DP, Dowell AC, Fortes S, Mbatia JK, Minhas FA, Klinkman MS. Proposed new diagnoses of anxious depression and bodily stress syndrome in ICD-11-PHC: An international focus group study. Fam Pract, 2013;30(1):76-87.
Full List of Publications
- Garrett RE, Klinkman MS, Post L. If you meet the Buddha on the road, take a genogram: Zen and the art of family medicine. Fam Med, 1987:19(3):225-6.
- Klinkman MS. The process of choice of health care plan and provider: development of an integrated analytic framework. Med Care Res Rev, 1991;48(3):295-330.
- Klinkman MS, Zazove P, Mehr DR, Ruffin MT. A criterion-based review of preventive health care in the elderly: Part 1. Theoretical framework and development of criteria. J Fam Pract, 1992:34(2):205-24.
- Zazove P, Mehr DR, Ruffin MT, Klinkman MS, Peggs JF, Davies TC. A criterion-based review of preventive health care in the elderly: Part 2. A geriatric health maintenance program. J Fam Pract, 1992:34(3):320-47.
- Klinkman MS, Stevens D, Gorenflo DW. Episodes of care for chest pain: A preliminary report from MIRNET. J Fam Pract, 1994:38(4):345-52.
- Klinkman MS, Green LA. Examining the process of primary care: Using ICPC in a microcomputer-based Primary Care information system. Fam Med, 1995;27(7):449-56.
- Klinkman MS. Episodes of care for abdominal pain in a primary care practice. Arch Fam Med, 1996;5(5):279-85.
- Parkerson GR, Bridges-Webb C, Gervas J, Hofmans-Okkes I, Lamberts H, Froom J Fischer G, Meyboom B, Bentsen B, Klinkman MS, deMaeseneer J. Classification of severity of health problems in family/general practice: an international field trial. Fam Pract, 1996;13(3):303-9.
- Klinkman MS, Coyne JC. Undetected depression is not untreated depression: A report from the Michigan Depression Project. Int J Psychiatry Med, 1997;27:309-10.
- Klinkman MS. Competing demands in psychosocial care: A model for the identification and treatment of depressive disorders in primary care. Gen Hosp Psych, 1997;19(2):98-111.
- Klinkman MS, Coyne JC, Gallo SM, Schwenk TL. Can case-finding instruments be used to improve physician detection of depression in primary care? Arch Fam Med, 1997;6(6):567-73.
- Klinkman MS, Gorenflo DW, Ritsema TL. The effects of insurance coverage on the quality of prenatal care. Arch Fam Med, 1997;6(6):557-66.
- Coyne JC, Klinkman MS, Gallo SM, Schwenk TL. Short-term outcomes of detected and undetected depressed primary care patients and depressed psychiatric patients. Gen Hosp Psych, 1997;19(5):333-43.
- Klinkman MS, Schwenk TL, Coyne JC. Depression in primary care - more like asthma than appendicitis: The Michigan Depression Project. Can J Psychiatry, 1997;42(9):966-73.
- Coyne JC, Klinkman MS, Anderson K, Schwenk TL. Differences between depressed primary care and psychiatric patients: A 52-month perspective. Int J Psychiatry Med, 1998;28:383.
- Coyne JC, Gallo SM, Klinkman MS, Schwenk TL. Effects of recent and past major depression and distress on self-concept and coping. J Abnorm Psychol, 1998;107(1):86-96.
- Klinkman MS, Coyne JC, Gallo SM, Schwenk TL. False positives, false negatives, and the validity of the diagnosis of major depression in primary care. Arch Fam Med, 1998;7(5):451-61.
- Zazove P, Klinkman MS. Developing a CQI program in a family medicine department. Jt Comm J Qual Improv, 1998;24(8):391-406.
- Schwenk TL, Klinkman MS, Coyne JC. Depression in the family physician’s office – more questions than answers: The Michigan depression project. J Clin Psychiatry, 1998;59 (suppl 20):94-100.
- Klinkman MS, Okkes I. Mental health problems in primary care: A research agenda. J Fam Pract, 1998;47(5):379-84.
- Klinkman MS, Okkes I. Mental health problems in primary care: A research agenda. Int J Psychiatry Med, 1998;28(4);361-75.
- Valenstein MV, Klinkman MS, Becker S, Blow FC, Barry KL, Sattar A, Hill E. Concurrent treatment of depressed patients in the community: Provider practices, attitudes, and barriers to collaboration. J Fam Pract, 1999;48(3):180-7.
- Klinkman MS. Strategies for effective management of depression in primary care. AM J Mang Care, 1999;5(suppl):S783-93.
- Pingitore D, Snowden L, Sansone RA, Klinkman MS. Persons with depressive symptoms and the treatments they receive: a comparison of primary care physicians and psychiatrists. Int J Psychiatry Med, 2001;31(1):41-60.
- Coyne JC, Thompson R, Klinkman MS, Nease DE. Emotional disorders in primary care. J Consult Clin Psychol, 2002;70(3):798-809.
- Nease DE, Klinkman MS, Volk RJ. Improved detection of depression in primary care through severity evaluation. J Fam Pract, 2002;51(12):1065-70.
- Klinkman MS. The role of algorithms in the detection and treatment of depression in primary care. J Clin Psychiatry, 2003;64(suppl 2):19-23.
- Aikens JE, Nease DE, Nau DP, Klinkman MS, Schwenk TL. Adherence to maintenance - phase antidepressant medication as a function of patient beliefs about medication. Ann Fam Med, 2005;3(1):23-30.
- Gaynes BN, Rush AJ, Trivedi M, Wisniewski SR, Balasubramani GK, Spencer DC, Petersen T, Klinkman MS, Warden D, Schneider RK, Castro DB, Golden, RN. A direct comparison of presenting characteristics of depressed outpatients from primary vs. specialty care settings: Preliminary findings from the STAR*D clinical trial. Gen Hosp Psychiatry, 2005;27(2):87-96.
- Nease DE Jr, Klinkman MS, Aikens JE. Severity and criteria based prompting for treatment of depressed patients. Int J Psychiatry Med, 2005;35(2):149-59.
- Kilbourne AM, Flanders G, Klinkman MS, Belnap BH, Thomas M. The role of clinical information technology in depression care management. Adm Policy Ment Health, 2006;33(1):59-69.
- Grazier KL, Klinkman MS, The economics of integrated depression care: the University of Michigan study. Adm Policy Ment Health, 2006;33(1):25-9.
- Nease DE Jr, Klinkman MS, Aikens JE . Depression case finding in primary care: a method for the mandates. Int J Psychiatry Med, 2006;36(2):141-51.
- Mirel B, Ackerman MS, Kerber K, Klinkman M. Designing CIS to improve decisions in depression disease management: a discourse analysis of front line practice. AMIA Annu Symp Proc, 2006;564-8.
- Gaynes BN, Rush AJ, Trivedi M, Wisniewski SR, Balasubramani GK, Spencer DC, Petersen T, Klinkman MS, Warden D, Nicholas L, Fava M. Major depression symptoms in primary care and psychiatric settings: A cross-sectional analysis. Ann Fam Med, 2007;5(2):126-34.
- Klinkman M, A whole new world: Complexity theory and mood variability in mental disorders. Prim Care Companion J Clin Psychiatry, 2007;9(3):180-2.
- Bryan CJ, Songer TJ, Brooks MM, Thase ME, Gaynes BN, Klinkman M, Rush AJ, Trivedi MH, Fava M, Wisniewski SR. A comparison of baseline sociodemographic and clinical characteristics between major depressive disorder patients with and without diabetes: A STAR*D report. J Affect Disord, 2008;108:113-20.
- Aikens JE, Kroenke K, Nease DE Jr, Klinkman MS, Sen A. Trajectories of improvement for six depression-related outcomes. Gen Hos Psychiatry, 2008;30(1):26-31.
- Aikens JE, Nease DE, Jr., Klinkman MS. Explaining patients’ beliefs about the necessity and harmfulness of antidepressants. Ann Fam Med, 2008;6:23-9.
- Gaynes BN, Rush AJ, Trivedi M, Wisniewski SR, Balasubramani GK, McGrath PJ, Thase MT, Klinkman M, Nierenberg AA, Yates WR, Fava M. Primary versus specialty care outcomes for depressed outpatients managed with measurement-based care: results from STAR*D. J Gen Intern Med, 2008;23: 551-60.
- Nease DE Jr., Ruffin MT 4th, Klinkman MS, Jimbo M, Braun TM, Underwood JM. Impact of a generalizable reminder system on colorectal cancer screening in diverse primary care practices: A report from the prompting and reminding at encounters for prevention project. Med Care, 2008;46(9 supp 1):S68-73.
- Gask L, Klinkman M, Fortes S, Dowrick C. Capturing complexity: The case for a new classification system for mental disorders in primary care. Eur Psychiatry, 2008;23(7):469-76.
- Klinkman MS. Assessing functional outcomes in clinical practice. Am J Managed Care, 2009;15:(11 Suppl):S335-42.
- Zivin K, Kerber K, Kuebler J, Jiang Q, Walters H, Klinkman M, McInnis M, Valenstein M. Effectiveness of a depression and work function—a pilot study. Int J Psychiatry Med, 2009;39(1):1-13.
- Gill JM, Klinkman MS, Chen YX. Antidepressant medication use for primary care patients with and without medical comorbidities: a national electronic health record (EHR) network study. J Am Board Fam Med, 2010;23(4):499-508.
- Klinkman MS, Bauroth S, Fedewa S, Kerber K, Kuebler J, Adman T, Sen A. Long-term clinical outcomes of care management for chronically depressed primary care patients: a report from the depression in primary care project. Ann Fam Med, 2010;8(5):387-96.
- Klinkman M, van Weel C. Prospects for person-centered diagnosis in general medicine. J Eval Clin Pract, 2011;17(2):365-70.
- Nease DE Jr, Aikens JE, Klinkman MS, Kroenke K, Sen A. Toward a more comprehensive assessment of depression remission: The Remission Evaluation and Mood Inventory Tool (REMIT). Gen Hosp Psychiatry, 2011;33(3):279-86.
- Gill JM, Chen YX, Grimes A, Diamond JJ, Lieberman MI, Klinkman MS. Electronic clinical decision support for management of depression in primary care: A prospective cohort study. Primary Care Companion for CNS Disorders, 2012;14(1).
- Gill JM, Chen YX, Grimes A, Klinkman MS. Using electronic health record-based tools to screen for bipolar disorders in primary care patients with depression. J Am Board Fam Med, 2012;25:283-90.
- Lam TP, Goldberg DP, Dowell AC, Fortes S, Mbatia JK Minhas FA, Klinkman MS. Proposed new diagnoses of anxious depression and bodily stress syndrome in ICD-11-PHC: An international focus group study. Fam Pract, 2013;30(1):76-87.
- Haberer JE, Trabin T, Klinkman M. Furthering the reliable and valid measurement of mental health screening, diagnoses, treatment and outcomes through health information technology. Gen Hosp Psychiatry, 2013;35(4):349-53.
- Mohr DC, Burns MN, Schueller SM, Clarke G, Klinkman M. Behavioral intervention technologies: Evidence review and recommendations for future research in mental health. Gen Hos Psychiatry, 2013;35(4):332-8.
- Krist AH, Beasley JW, Crosson JC, Kibbe DC, Klinkman MS, Lehmann C, Fox CH, Mitchell JM, Mold JW, Pace WD, Peterson KA, Phillips RL, Post R, Puro J, Raddock M, Simkus R, Waldren SE. Electronic health record functionality needed to better support primary care. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 2014 Jan 15 [Epub ahead of print].
The most interesting thing I’ve learned throughout my career is…
This work takes time! It proceeds at the speed of trust - between community and health care enterprises, between lay community members and the community power brokers, and between researchers and community at large. It cannot be done in the short time lines required for most research grant proposals.