Lois Phizacklea, 734-998-7874, email@example.com
Dr. Suzanna Zick is a clinical expert on integrative medicine in cancer survivorship and a research associate professor in the University of Michigan Department of Family Medicine. She is a member of the education team for the U-M Integrative Medicine Faculty Scholars Program. Zick is currently the co-director of the Integrative Medicine Program at the University of Michigan.
Dr. Zick is conducting a National Cancer Institute funded study to investigate the effect of self-administered acupressure on persistent cancer related fatigue in breast cancer survivors. In the past she completed a study that examines if ginger could be used as an effective agent for colorectal cancer prevention. She has published more than 30 peer-reviewed articles.
Areas of Interest
- The examination of complementary and alternative medicine for the prevention, treatment and control of symptoms of cancer treatment and cancer survivorship
- The use of botanical medicines and nutraceuticals for preventing and treating cancer
- Phase one, two, and three clinical trials
- Integrative and Alternative Medicine
- Cancer and Prevention Screenings
- Reproductive and Women’s Health
Medical School or Training
- Medical Anthropology, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Mich., 1992
- N.D., Naturopathic Medicine, National College of Naturopathic Medicine, Portland, Ore., 1996
- M.P.H., Epidemiology, University of Michigan, 1999
- Acupressure for Persistent Cancer Related Fatigue, NIH, Co-Principal Investigator (Co-PI: Harris)
- Beneficial Effects of Quercetin COPD – A Preliminary Clinical Trial, NIH, Co-Investigator (PI: Sajjan)
- Michigan Lupus Epidemiology and Surveillance (MILES) Program Longitudinal Cohort, CDC, Co-Investigator (PI: Somers)
- A Pilot Randomized Clinical Trial of a Fatigue Reduction Diet in Breast Cancer, University of Michigan Cancer Research Committee Survivors, Principal Investigator
- Zick SM, Sen A, Wyatt GK, Murphy SL, Arnedt JT, Harris RE. Investigation of 2 Types of Self-administered Acupressure for Persistent Cancer-Related Fatigue in Breast Cancer Survivors: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Oncol. 2016 Jul 7. DOI: 10.1001/jamaoncol.2016.1867
- Greenlee H, Balneaves LG, Carlson LE, Cohen M, Deng G, Hershman D, Mumber M, Perlmutter J, Seely D, Sen A, Zick SM, Tripathy D. Clinical practice guidelines on the use of integrative therapies as supportive care in patients treated for breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr. 2014 Nov;2014(50):346-58. DOI: 10.1093/jncimonographs/lgu041
- Rhode J, Fogoros S, Zick S, et al. Ginger inhibits cell growth and modulates angiogenic factors in ovarian cancer cells. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2007 Dec 20;7:44. DOI: 10.1186/1472-6882-7-44
- Zick SM, Wright BD, Sen A, Arnedt JT. Preliminary examination of the efficacy and safety of a standardized chamomile extract for chronic primary insomnia: a randomized placebo-controlled pilot study. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2011 Sep 22;11:78. doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-11-78.
- Somers EC, Ganser MA, Warren JS, Basu N, Wang L, Zick SM, Park SK. Mercury Exposure and Antinuclear Antibodies among Females of Reproductive Age in the United States: NHANES. Environ Health Perspect. 2015 Aug;123(8):792-8. doi: 10.1289/ehp.1408751.