Our approach to cancer treatment partners multiple experts to deliver multidisciplinary care in the treatment of breast cancer, skin cancer, sarcoma and cancer of the stomach. We are committed to providing high quality, state-of-the-art care while recognizing the importance of a patient-centered approach. Our unique Cancer Survivorship Clinics provide ongoing support for cancer survivors, offering symptom management and consultation for all aspects of a patient’s physical and mental health.
We’re organized around a series of multidisciplinary clinical programs, including:
- A Breast Care Center: Our center for the treatment of breast cancer and other breast conditions incorporates multiple support programs in addition to expert medical and surgical treatment, including patient education, peer counseling, psychological support, and integrative medicine. We also work with colleagues in endocrinology and obstetrics & gynecology to provide consultation to patients seeking to preserve their fertility, post-treatment.
- A Gastrointestinal Cancer Clinic: This clinic provides care for stomach cancer, organizing patient care through a single point of contact to improve efficiency and convenience for patients.
- A Cutaneous Oncology Clinic: This high-volume clinic sees more than 1,500 patients a year, making it one of the leading melanoma centers in the world. Our team includes dermatologists, medical oncologists, pathologists, and other experts.
- A Sarcoma Clinic: We treat sarcomas of the bone and soft tissue, seeing more than 200 cases each year of this rare form of cancer. This experience sets us apart as.
- A Thoracic Oncology Clinic: Treating cancers of the lungs, chest wall, and esophagus, this clinic provides patients with multiple expert opinions through a multidisciplinary tumor board that assesses cases to determine the best course of action.
Our approach to clinical care also emphasizes innovative use of technology in support of patient education. For example, we’ve developed three mobile apps — UMSkinCheck, Breast Cancer Ally, and Melanoma Ally — to help patients navigate the complexities of cancer treatment, helping them to feel empowered by information instead of overwhelmed.
Beyond the clinic, we’re gaining a better understanding of how cancer develops and progresses, and we're pursuing novel treatments. As educators, we offer advanced training in cancer treatment for the next generation of surgeon leaders.