Vascular Surgery Case Conference
This bimonthly conference features primarily resident- and fellow-run case presentations, including interpretation of imaging and discussion of literature review.
This conference is routinely cited as excellent preparation for oral boards, and offers material suitable to medical students up through junior faculty.
Weekly Vascular Surgery Curriculum
Residents and fellows have 3 hours of protected time weekly for curriculum, which includes:
- Faculty-driven core vascular surgery didactics
- Leadership development
- “Residents as Educators”
- Device and skills training
- Mock oral exam sessions
- Quality improvement topics
- Open and endovascular simulation exercises
Endovascular Simulation Curriculum
Residents will receive extensive exposure to simulation-based training throughout their surgical training across core surgical disciplines in the recently expanded University of Michigan Clinical Simulation Center. This includes critical care, advanced laparoscopic and open vascular skills curriculum. The University of Michigan is proud to incorporate state-of-the-art endovascular simulation training with the VIST-LAB (Mentice) simulator. Monthly, as part of the Thursday morning curriculum, all residents/fellows will meet with core vascular faculty in the Simulation Center for hands-on simulation training. This form of active learning based on clinical scenarios with real time feedback and associated pearls has been well received widely. The curriculum rotates monthly and cycles through topics like: radiation safety, iliac/SFA interventions, peripheral/tibial interventions, vascular trauma, carotid interventions, TEVAR, EVAR and ultimately a “case-based” module which incorporates real patient anatomy.
Our virtual visiting lecturer series features talented faculty from diverse backgrounds, providing our residents and fellows the opportunity to learn about unique topics beyond the usual scope of their training.
Conferences & Frequency
- Morning teaching Conference (Junior residents/Medical students): Twice weekly
- Vascular Surgery Case Conference: Twice monthly
- Vascular Journal Club: Every other month
- Vascular Surgery Morbidity and Mortality Conference: Twice monthly (alternating with General Surgery Death and Complications Conference)
- Vascular Surgery Conference Curriculum: 3 hours weekly
- Department of Surgery Grand Rounds: Monthly
- Indications Conference: Monthly
- Visiting Lecturers: Quarterly