“There is a real excitement in the Department of Surgery, as we work to improve medical practice today, while inventing the ‘surgery of the future.’ Surgery is in a period of enormous growth and change, and we are looking forward to a very bright future.”
— Dr. Michael W. Mulholland, Department Chair
We’re making the Michigan Difference at the Department of Surgery through our commitment to expert, innovative, and compassionate health care — and by continuing our department’s proud 150-year tradition by training the next generation of surgeon leaders.
See what sets us apart in our expertise and delivery of clinical care.
Find information for prospective residents, fellows, and other trainees.
See how we’re advancing medicine through discovery.
Stay in touch with the community of Michigan surgeons with news and events.
The U-M Department of Surgery will create a positive, substantive impact on human health, through collaboration among clinicians, scientists, medical and business professionals to achieve:
- Highly effective, compassionate patient care
- Innovative science and meaningful discovery
- Superior, engaging education
The U-M Department of Surgery will be the best such academic group in the world, dedicated to:
- Improving patients’ chances of healthy survival while bettering the quality of their care
- Discovering and developing insights, innovations and tools needed to better prevent and treat disease
- Educating next generations of surgeons and researchers
The people of the U-M Department of Surgery are committed to advancing medicine and serving humanity through living and teaching our core values of:
- Respect and compassion