We at the Department of Surgery recognize that our success is due to the talent, commitment, and vision of faculty and residents. We pledge that we will support each individual to achieve their full professional and academic potential. The Michigan Promise ensures that faculty and residents within our department, and our community as a whole, realize our goals as the leaders and best.
Our mission is to:
- Prepare each surgeon to achieve the highest excellence in clinical care, research, and education.
- Build a diverse and inclusive culture in which all individuals advance and thrive.
- Recruit the best and brightest clinicians and scientists to the Department of Surgery.
- Create innovative strategies for ongoing professional growth and scientific discovery.
- Develop the most talented and progressive leaders in academic medicine.
- Expand outreach and service to local, regional, national, and global partners.
Within these missions, we have created defined strategies to reach these goals, and each initiative is open to surgeons within the Department of Surgery across rank, track, and specialty. The Michigan Promise is designed to accelerate achievement and ensure that our environment allows all individuals to achieve excellence and professional satisfaction. Because our faculty and residents play a central role in executing the mission of the Department of Surgery, these efforts are integrated as a core value of equal importance to other core departmental values.
Each initiative within the Michigan Promise addresses challenges of achieving excellence in clinical care, teaching, research, diversity, and equity in modern academic medicine.