Amy S.B. Bohnert, Ph.D., M.H.S. is a mental health services researcher with training in public health who focuses her research on epidemiology and brief interventions regarding substance use and related disorders. Within a team of collaborators at the University of Michigan and the Department of Veterans Affairs, she has led a number of projects related to overdose and prescription drug safety. A number of her research activities have been specifically aimed at improving care occurring in substance use disorder treatment settings. Dr. Bohnert has demonstrated a particular expertise in applying epidemiology methods to the analysis of electronic health records-based datasets to answer important questions for health services delivery.
Dr. Bohnert earned her Ph.D. in Public Health at Johns Hopkins University and completed her postdoctoral fellowship with the Department of Veterans Affairs, National Serious Mental Illness Treatment Research and Evaluation Center in Ann Arbor, MI. She has an appointment as an Associate Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Michigan. Dr. Bohnert is also affiliated with the Department of Veterans Affairs Center for Clinical Management Research (CCMR), an HSR&D Center of Innovation.
Areas of Interest
- Use of longitudinal and patient care datasets for clinical epidemiology research
- Brief interventions related to prescription drug use and overdose prevention
- Mortality among substance users, particularly fatal drug and medication overdoses
In “emulated” clinical trial, longer work weeks were strongly linked to larger rise in depression symptoms, pushing some first-year resident physicians into moderate or severe depression range.
Policy shift could improve access to buprenorphine for opioid use disorder, but stigma and training still pose significant challenge.
Turning the tide demands improvements to pain care, mental health care and medication-assisted opioid addiction care, researchers say
- Research Fellow, University of Michigan Medical School, Department of Psychiatry
- Post-Doctoral Fellow Veterans Affairs (VA) National Serious Mental Illness Treatment Research and Evaluation Center (SMITREC), Ann Arbor, MI
- Ph.D. in Public Health, Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Department of Mental Health
- M.H.S. (Masters in Health Science) in Mental Health Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health Department of Mental Health
- B.A. in Psychology and in English (Dual Degree)