Psychiatric Emergency Services (PES) provides emergency/urgent walk-in evaluation and crisis phone services available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for people of all ages. The following services are provided; psychiatric evaluation, treatment recommendations; crisis intervention; screening for inpatient psychiatric hospitalization and mental health referral information. Psychiatric Emergency Services is a program of the University of Michigan Department of Psychiatry. We collaborate with many community agencies.
PES Mission Statement
The Psychiatric Emergency Services’ mission is to:
- Provide exemplary patient-centered and evidence-based care and treatment
- Promote dignity and respect of all patients and families in a safe, healing, collaborative and inclusive environment, embracing the diversity of our patient population
- Participate in innovative research related to behavioral health emergencies
- Provide professional training to students and trainees to equip them to meet current and future patient needs
- Lead in development and dissemination of best practices in behavioral health emergency care for patients at Michigan Medicine, the State of Michigan, and nationally
Our Core Values:
- Compassion and caring for our patients and families, other staff members, and ourselves
- Respect and dignity for all
- Collaboration with patients and families, other PES staff, Psychiatry and Michigan Medicine colleagues and community partners
- Innovation and excellence
- Focus on education
- Creating and disseminating knowledge
Who we are:
Psychiatric Emergency Services (PES) is a program of the University of Michigan Department of Psychiatry that provides emergency/urgent walk-in evaluations and crisis phone services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for adults.
Who we serve:
We serve patients of Michigan Medicine. We are designed and staffed to evaluate and treat adult patients. Children experiencing psychiatric emergencies will be seen only to determine if hospital care is needed.
What we do:
We provide psychiatric evaluation; referrals to inpatient treatment facilities; crisis intervention; and mental health treatment referral information to those who are in crisis or are experiencing a psychiatric emergency. If hospital care is recommended or required, we do not guarantee that care will be at UM Hospital. UM has very few inpatient psychiatry beds, and most patients seen in PES who require hospital care are referred to other hospitals.
If you are unsure that PES is the best place for you or a loved one to be seen, please call us for advice. Our number is 734-936-5900. If you are from another county and are looking for crisis services, follow this link http://www.michigan.gov/documents/cmh_8_1_02_37492_7.PDF to find the number to your local CMH. If you are seeking outpatient or inpatient care at the University of Michigan health Care System, please contact our intake services at 800-525-5188.
Crisis phone service: 734-936-5900 or 734-996-4747
24 hours / 7 days
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
How to find us:
Psychiatric Emergency Services (Michigan Medicine Hospital) is located at 1500 E. Medical Center Drive Floor B1, Room A240 Ann Arbor, MI 48109. Please use the Emergency Department entrance.