The Department offers a few opportunities
Grand rounds are an important teaching tool and ritual of medical education and inpatient care, consisting of presenting the medical problems and treatment of a particular patient to an audience consisting of doctors, residents and medical students. The patient was traditionally present for the round and would answer questions; grand rounds have evolved with most sessions now rarely having a patient present and being more like lectures. An actor portrays the patient in some instances.
Grand rounds help doctors and other healthcare professionals keep up to date in important evolving areas which may be outside of their core practice. Most departments at major teaching hospitals will have their own specialized, often weekly, grand rounds. Attending grand rounds is also an important supplement to medical school and on-the-job resident training. (Grand rounds can also be distinguished from rounds which is the (typically) daily visit by the attending physician and team to all that physician's patients on the ward. Rounding with an attending physician is an important part of medical on-the-job training and education, but its primary focus is immediate care for the patients on the ward. Grand rounds tends to present the bigger picture, including experience with patients over many years, and the newest research and treatments in an area. Grand rounds tend to be open to the entire medical professional community, whereas rounds are specific to individual attending physicians and their teams).
Evidence Based Medicine Seminar
In the fall of 2005, we began an Evidence-Based Medicine Seminar series. The goal of this seminar series is to provide trainees, faculty and staff with a primer and update on EBM approaches to psychiatric care. The slide sets available here are recent seminar offerings on specific clinical questions or background/overview issues for EBM.
- Bipolar II: What to do
Matthew Hughes, M.D.
- Intellectual Development Disorder
- Comparing Good Psychiatric Management
- Managing Common Side Effects of Lithium
- Illuminating the Role of Light Therapy in the Treatment of Nonseasonal Depression
- Use of Mirtazapine in SSRI induced Sexual Dysfunction
- Introduction to Evidence-Based Medicine
- Treatment of Acute Mania in Pediatric Bipolar Disorder
- Treatment of Chronic Insomnia
- Evidence Based Medicine: Time Saving Steps
- Treatment of severe depression in an elderly patient
- Treatment of Comorbid Depression and Alcohol Use Disorders
- Evidence-based Treatment of Psychotic Depression
- Effectiveness of Second generation antipsychotics on Dementia-related Pyschosis and Agitation
- Combined Pharmacotherapy and Psychotherapy for Anxiety Disorders: Is Efficacy Enhanced? An Evidenced-Based Approach
- Evidence Based Guidelines for Pharmacotherapy in the Treatment of Alcohol Dependence
Chandan Nayak, MD
- Antidepressants in Kids: Benefits of Treatment vs. Risk of Suicidal Behavior
Gregory Dalack, MD
- Treatment of GAD: Implications of Comorbid Personality Disorder
Thane Ericson, Ph.D.
- Violence Risk Assessment in Psychiatric Patients
Joshua Bess, MD
- Evidence based medicine approach to the diagnosis and treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Clinical Case: Vascular Dementia
Gregory Dalack, MD
- Neuropsychiatric Sequelae of TBI: Searching for Buried Treasure
M. Justin Coffey, MD
- Should Psychiatrists Prescribe Metformin for Weight Gain from Atypical Antipsychotics?
Paul Pfeiffer, MD & Gregory Dalack, MD
- A Case of Refractory Bipolar Disorder: Role for Psychotherapy?
Gregory Dalack, MD
- Pharmacotherapy for Social Phobia with Panic disorder: What is the evidence?
Jennifer Seibert, MD & Gregory W. Dalack, MD
- Bipolar Depression: One Drug at a Time
Daniel Gih, MD & Alan Prossin, MBBS
- Factors That May Impact Psychotherapy Outcomes for Depression: An Evidence-Based Approach
Sai Li MD PGYIII; Faculty Sponsors: Gregory Dalack M.D. and Heather Flynn Ph.D.
- Metformin treatment for weight gain secondarily associated to atypical antipsychotic use in children/adolescents
John Schloss, M.D., M.S. & Gregory Dalack, M.D.
- Conversion Disorder: The Initial Presentation
Presented by Ed Deneke, M.D., Faculty Sponsor: Gregory Dalack, M.D.
- Treatment of Psychotic Depression in Pregnancy
Presented by Lizette Solis, M.D., Faculty Sponsor: Maria Muzik, M.D., M.Sc.
- Depression in a 22 Year Old Man
Presented by Louis Feurino, M.D., Faculty Sponsor: Gregory Dalack, M.D.
- Worries About Memory: Mild Cognitive Impairment, Vascular Depression and Anxiety
Presented by Nikhil Dhawan, M.D., Faculty Sponsor: Gregory Dalack, M.D.
- EBM Seminar
Presented by Brandon N. Reynolds, M.D., Faculty Sponsors: Joshua Bess, M.D. and Alan Prossin, M.D.
- Pharmacologic Interventions for Dementia with Behavioral Disturbances
Presented by Zach Morairty, M.D., Faculty Sponsor: Mary Blazek, M.D.
- The Serotonin Transporter, Stress and Depression Meta-Analysis Revisited: Evidence of Genetic Moderation
Presented by Katja Karg, Kerby Shedden, Faculty Sponsors: Margit Burmeister and Srijan Sen
- Evidenced Based Medicine Seminar: Evidence for Psychotherapeutic Interventions in Borderline Personality Disorder
Presented by G. David Annas, M.D., Faculty Discussant: Kenneth Silk, M.D.
- Bipolar Disorder and Pregnancy: A Review of Evidence-based Options
Presented by Chrisantha Anandappa, M.D., Faculty Sponsor: Alan Prossin, MBBS
- A Refractory Depression Case: Evidence Based Medicine Approach to the Treatment of Tinnitus. What is The Role of TMS?
Presented by Dayna J. Le Platte, M.D., Faculty Sponsor: Brian Mickey, M.D.
- Management of Anxiety In a Patient With Remitting Alcohol Use Disorder
Presented by Heba Gad, M.D. PGY IV , Faculty Sponsor: Esther Akinyemi, MBBS
- Adapting CBT to Patient's with Learning Disabilities
Presented by Rajeev Krishna, M.D., Ph.D., Faculty Sponsor: Ricks Warren, Ph.D.
- Treatment Resistant Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Antipsychotic Augmentation – Off-label Use
Presented by Katrina A. Bozada, M.D., Faculty Sponsor: Gregory W. Dalack, M.D.
- Use of Duloxetine in Adolescents
Presented by Veena Tripathi, M.D., Faculty Sponsor: Sarah Mohiuddin, M.D.
- Post-stroke Obsessions
Presented by Laura Reese, M.D., Faculty Sponsor: Mary Blazek, M.D.
- Outpatient vs. Inpatient Treatment of Anorexia Nervosa: An Evidence-Based Approach
Presented by Aazaz Haq, M.D., Faculty Sponsors: Daniel Gih, M.D. and Thomas Fluent, M.D.
- Worsened Anxiety and Physical Symptoms after Switching SSRIs
Presented by Cara Fosdick, M.D., Faculty Sponsor: Juan Lopez, M.D.
- Review of the FDA Warning for QTc Prolongation with Citalopram: How Concerned Should We Be?
Presented by Lauren B. Gerlach, D.O., Faculty Sponsors: Kara Zivin, Ph.D. and Helen C. Kales, M.D.
- Anything to Add? Considerations for Adjunctive Supplementation for Treatment-Resistant Depression
Presented by Henry Emerle, M.D., Faculty Sponsors: Sara Figueroa, M.D.
Presented by Jeffrey Stearns, M.D., Faculty Sponsors: James Swain, M.D., Ph.D.
- The Use of Lithium as an Augmenting Agent in Bipolar Disorder
Presented by Seth Knight, M.D., Faculty Sponsors: Masoud Kamali, M.D., Ph.D.
- Management options for post-menopausal mood/anxiety in women with a history of breast cancer
Presented by Aditi Sharma, M.D. - Faculty Sponsor: Maria Muzik, M.D.
- Approaches to the Treatment of Co-Morbid Depression and Cannabis Use Disorder
Presented by Allison Lin, M.D. - Faculty Sponsor: Adam Miller, M.D.
- Effects of Menstrual Cycle on Bipolar Disorder
Presented by Seema Calip, M.D. - Faculty Sponsor: Maria Muzik, M.D.
- The Role of N-Acetylcysteine in the Treatment of Mood Disorders
Presented by Carrie Gillett, M.D. - Faculty Sponsor: Ed Deneke, M.D.
- Marijuana for Anxiety? Exploring the Evidence Base in a Different Context
Presented by Peter Jackson, M.D. - Faculty Sponsor: Adam Miller, M.D. - Guest Discussant: Ronald Bradley, D.O., Ph.D.
- Onset of Restless Legs Syndrome after sertraline initiation, a case report and review of literature
Presented by Ryan Edwards, M.D. - Faculty Sponsor: Kate Fitzgerald, M.D.
- Evidence-Based Treatment of Somatoform Disorder; Are we effectively managing these patients?
Presented by Shanti Mitchell, M.D. - Faculty Sponsor: James Abelson, MD, PhD and Edward Deneke, MD
- Clozapine Induced Neutropenia: Lithium to the Rescue?
Presented by Adrienne Saxton, M.D. - Faculty Sponsor: Michael Jibson, M.D., Ph.D.
- Treatment of Hypersexuality in Traumatic Brain Injury
Presented by Bradley Stilger, M.D. - Faculty Sponsor: James Abelson, M.D.
- Gabapentin and Pregabalin: A role for off-label use in the treatment of anxiety disorders?
Presented by Adam Hart, M.D. - Faculty Sponsor: Ed Deneke, M.D.
- Adjunctive Treatment for SSRI Induced Sexual Dysfunction
Presented by Karina Davis, M.D. - Faculty Sponsor: Adam Miller, M.D.
- Bupropion in Depression: Does It Exacerbate Anxiety?
Presented by Ryan Silwanowicz, M.D. - Faculty Sponsor: Victor Hong, M.D.
- Utility of Ramelteon for Insomnia
Presented by Jenny Wang, M.D. - Faculty Sponsor: Deirdre Conroy, M.D.
- Sympatholytics for the treatment of PTSD: A role for alpha-2 receptor agonists?
Presented by Laura Andersen, M.D. - Faculty Sponsor: James Swain, M.D., Ph.D.
- Medication Management of Perimenopausal Mood Disorders
Presented by Nakita Natala, M.D. - Faculty Sponsor: Juan Lopez, M.D.
- What is the value of genetic testing for selection of antidepressants?
Presented by Dan Wurzelmann, M.D. - Faculty Sponsor: Vicki Ellingrod, PharmD
- Fishing for a Better Mood: A look at the evidence for Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Presented by Lauren Edwards, M.D. - Faculty Sponsor: Simon Evans, Ph.D.
- Discussion of a new meta-analysis: Which antipsychotic for Treatment-Resistant Schizophrenia, and is clozapine really superior?
Presented by Paul Wright, M.D. - Faculty Sponsor: Michael Jibson, Ph.D.
- N-ACETYL CYSTEINE (NAC) for Cannabis Use Disorder
Presented by Elizabeth Ssemanda, M.D. - Faculty Sponsor: Adam Miller, M.D.
The Department offers several formal trainings by specialty faculty.