Dr. Severe is a clinician, researcher, educator, leader and community advocate. She focuses on mood disorders and works in both the Depression and Bipolar Disorder Clinic as a clinician, educator and researcher. Her commitment to timely access to mental health care transpires through her role as a collaborative care consulting psychiatrist and through various initiatives at the Rachel Upjohn Building Ambulatory Psychiatry Clinics. Dr. Severe is also a healthcare advocate through the American Psychiatric Association where she currently serves as a consultant on the Council of International Psychiatry. Through ongoing research, numerous publications and scientific presentations nationally and internationally, she continues to inform on effective prevention and treatment of mental disorders, more particularly mood disorders.
Areas of Interest
- Bipolar Disorders
- Depressive Disorders
- Collaborative Care in Primary Care Settings
- Public Health Services and Advocacy
- Education and Health Services Research
- Global Mental Health and Cross-Cultural Psychiatry
Where mental health help is scarce, telehealth makes a big difference
Large randomized study of two approaches to support rural primary care providers in caring for people with PTSD or bipolar disorder shows both work.
COVID Forced Psychiatric Care Online, and Many Patients Want It to Stay There, Study Finds
Most opted for video, but the future of virtual mental health visits is less certain due to reimbursement.
Now That Psychiatric Care Has Gone Online, Many Patients Want It to Stay There
Dr. Jennifer Severe is quoted on her research
Consequences of Recurrent Depression: Is Stopping Effective Antidepressant Medications Ever Safe
Drs. Severe, Greden and Reddy recently published an article in FOCUS – APA.
U-M Department of Psychiatry Experts Descend Upon San Francisco for American Psychiatric Association’s Annual Meeting
Experts available to comment on a wide range of topics
- Public Psychiatry Fellowship, Columbia University
- Visiting Research Fellow in Global Health and Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School
- Baystate Medical Center Psychiatry Residency, University of Massachusetts Medical School
- Baystate Medical Center Psychiatry Residency, Tufts University school of Medicine
- Global Mental Health fellowship, Partners in Health - Harvard Medical School
- State University of Haiti, MD