Each year the Service and Excellence Celebration recognizes the many contributions and achievements staff have made to the Department of Internal Medicine. Two types of awards are celebrated - the Staff Award for Excellence and the Milestone Anniversaries of faculty and staff.
2017 Staff Award for Excellence Winners
Administrative Excellence Award
David Karpenko, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine
Lisa Miller, Graduate Medical Education
Theresa Nester, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Elizabeth Spranger, Performance Improvement
Cheryl Sweetland, Division of General Medicine
Sharon Walker, Division of Nephrology
Clinical Excellence Award
Joy Diponio, Division of Nephrology
Martha Hubler, Division of Allergy and Immunology
Aleksandar Tomas, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
Research Excellence Award
Marilyn Bartow, Division of General Medicine
Judy Carrillo, Sponsored Research and Pre-Award
Katherine Oravecz-Wilson, Division of Hematology/Oncology
Brenda Phillips, Division of General Medicine
Past Award Celebrations
Staff Award for Excellence
- Award for Excellence in Teaching/Administrative Activities
(typically persons working as financial staff, administrative assistants, program managers)
- Award for Excellence in Clinical Support Activities
(typically persons working in clinics or inpatient settings, with direct patient contact)
- Award for Excellence in Research Activities (typically persons working as research assistants, laboratory staff, program managers, clinical research coordinators)The Staff Award for Excellence honors a staff member’s outstanding performance in administrative/teaching, research, or clinical support activities. These staff members embody the values, skills and behaviors reflected in our Department’s Guiding Principles for Service Excellence.
Service Excellence Guiding Principles
- Demonstrate respect for others and hold them accountable for demonstrating the same.
- Provide excellent service to the people with whom I interact on a daily basis.
- Make all interactions positive and professional.
- Show empathy towards others.
- Actively engage in discussions and in resolving issues.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and recommend solutions.
- Practice active listening, setting aside distractions to focus on the person and issue at hand.
- Demonstrate integrity in all I do.
- Nominees must be a Medical School, Hospital, or Ambulatory Care Unit staff employee with a primary appointment in the Department of Internal Medicine for at least two years.
- Nominations should be submitted by the employee’s supervisor or colleagues based on demonstrated excellence in work performance, leadership, customer service, and process improvement.
- Nominee must have a current Internal Medicine appointment on the date of the award ceremony.
- Nominations are due each year in January and the nomination form will be made available to all faculty and staff.
- For questions contact Silvana Janevski / 734-232-0202.
Milestone Anniversary Award
In addition, the Service and Excellence celebration recognizes a faculty or staff member’s years of service, dedication, and loyalty by honoring them with the Milestone Anniversary Award.