Each year the Service and Excellence Celebration recognizes the many contributions and achievements staff have made to the Department of Internal Medicine. Two types of awards are celebrated - the Staff Award for Excellence and the Milestone Anniversaries of faculty and staff.
2018 Staff Award for Excellence Winners
Administrative Excellence Award
- Silvana Janevski, Office Manager, Chair’s Office
- Crystal Neal, Fellowship Coordinator, Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- Vicky Vincent, Administrative Assistant, Gastroenterology and Hepatology
Clinical Excellence Award
- Veronica “Ronnie” Downer, Nurse Coordinator, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
- Dena Fernandez, Manager, Medical Short Stay Unit, Hospital Medicine
- Michelle Fugate, Administrative Manager, Allergy and Clinical Immunology
- Melissa McInroy, Exercise Physiologist, Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
- Emily Weatherup, Director, Diabetes Education; Metabolism, Endocrinology and Diabetes
Research Excellence Award
- Trina Bailey, Administrative Specialist, Metabolism, Endocrinology and Diabetes
- Jeff Cole, Research Supervisor, Gastroenterology and Hepatology
- Tamara Gay, Research Administrator, General Medicine
- Mohammed Kabeto, Research Specialist, General Medicine
- Andrea Waltje, Research Specialist, Metabolism, Endocrinology and Diabetes
Past Award Celebrations
- 2017 Service and Excellence Celebration
- 2016 Service and Excellence Celebration
- 2015 Service and Excellence Celebration
Staff Award for Excellence
- Award for Excellence in Teaching/Administrative Activities
(typically persons working as financial staff, administrative assistants, program managers)
- Award for Excellence in Clinical Support Activities
(typically persons working in clinics or inpatient settings, with direct patient contact)
- Award for Excellence in Research Activities (typically persons working as research assistants, laboratory staff, program managers, clinical research coordinators).
The Staff Award for Excellence honors a staff member’s outstanding performance in administrative/teaching, research, or clinical support activities. These staff members embody the values, skills, and behaviors reflected in our Department’s Guiding Principles for Service Excellence.
Service Excellence Guiding Principles
- Demonstrate respect for others and hold them accountable for demonstrating the same.
- Provide excellent service to the people with whom I interact on a daily basis.
- Make all interactions positive and professional.
- Show empathy towards others.
- Actively engage in discussions and in resolving issues.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and recommend solutions.
- Practice active listening, setting aside distractions to focus on the person and issue at hand.
- Demonstrate integrity in all I do.
- Nominees must be a Medical School, Hospital, or Ambulatory Care Unit staff employee with a primary appointment in the Department of Internal Medicine for at least two years.
- Nominations should be submitted by the employee’s supervisor or colleagues based on demonstrated excellence in work performance, leadership, customer service, and process improvement.
- Nominee must have a current Internal Medicine appointment on the date of the award ceremony.
- Nominations are due each year in January and the nomination form will be made available to all faculty and staff.
- Questions: Contact Silvana Janevski / 734-232-0202.
Milestone Anniversary Award
In addition, the Service and Excellence celebration recognizes a faculty or staff member’s years of service, dedication, and loyalty by honoring them with the Milestone Anniversary Award.