Welcome to the Medical Student Education program within the Department of Internal Medicine. The department works closely with the U-M Medical School to provide many opportunities for medical students who wish to learn more about internal medicine. As part of their curriculum, medical students are instructed by dedicated faculty, many leaders in their field, to prepare them for a wide variety of careers in medicine.
During their time here, students complete internal medicine rotations in both inpatient and outpatient settings. Our primary goal is to offer an educational experience that will give a broad, but in-depth understanding of internal medicine disorders and diseases, enhance critical thinking and problem solving capabilities, and improve professional and interpersonal skills.
We expect all members of our community to support a positive learning environment. Specifically, to foster an environment in which the professional growth and development of our students can best take place.
Our faculty will strive to:
- Support students who experience difficulties in the learning environment by being receptive to and responding appropriately to any perceived mistreatment.
- Work diligently to ensure that each component of the educational program for students is of high quality.
- Serve as mentors and role models for students, maintaining high professional standards in interactions with patients, colleagues, and staff.
- Respect all students, regardless of gender, race, age, disability, national origin, religion, or sexual orientation.
- Fairly evaluate and provide timely feedback, including constructive criticism, to help all students achieve academic excellence, clinical excellence, and excellence in professional conduct.
- Set a high example of teamwork and collegiality.
Medical students will in turn strive to:
- Work diligently to acquire the knowledge, skills, and attitudes required to fulfill the educational objectives established by the faculty.
- Exemplify the professional virtues of altruism, accountability, compassion, duty, excellence, and honor and integrity.
- Conduct themselves accordingly at all times, but especially in their dealings with patients.
- Respect all faculty members, residents, staff and other students, regardless of gender, race, age, disability, national origin, religion, or sexual orientation.
- Report any perceived mistreatment to appropriate faculty and staff.
- Seek out and willingly accept constructive criticism/negative feedback and use this information to improve performance.
- Recognize that medical education and the practice of medicine are activities that require cooperation, mutual support, and the ability to work productively with colleagues.
We have limited opportunities to offer visiting students on some of our consult electives. We will only consider international students from schools with which we have a pre-exisiting arrangement. Interested student must go through the medical school's application process and cannot make independent arrangements with a program or faculty member.