The Department of Internal Medicine is the oldest and largest department in the University of Michigan Medical School. Within our 12 divisions are more than 800 dedicated faculty members and over 310 residents and fellows – all dedicated to advancing patient care, education, and research.
To be the national standard of excellence for departments of Internal Medicine.
- To enhance and preserve the lives of our patients by offering them the most advanced, comprehensive, and compassionate care.
- To continually learn how to become better clinicians, researchers, and leaders and offer this knowledge to train healthcare professionals within our organization, our community, and around the globe.
- To translate research, conducted at the highest scientific standards, into meaningful improvements in health outcomes.
- To recruit a diverse medical team who believe in and will be dedicated to advancing our mission.
- To be good stewards of all the resources which have been entrusted to us.
A Message From Our Chair
It is a great privilege to serve as Chairman for the Department of Internal Medicine. As I reflect on my time here, I am overwhelmed by our accomplishments and look forward to new discoveries. As we embark on the University's bicentennial, I invite you to explore our department's rich history. From extraordinary medical firsts, to incredible scientific breakthroughs - our history and work today continue to be patient centered. It is this type of dedication that makes our department one of the best in the nation and the reason we routinely receive international recognition.
It is an exciting time. From our growing clinical operations, to our stellar educational programs, and the amazing research we conduct and initiate, we are continually at the forefront of medicine. We face and conquer challenges head on and realize that today’s rapidly changing healthcare landscape provides our department great opportunities to contribute to the evolving needs of our patients and those we serve.
Our expansive expertise across 12 divisions makes us a powerhouse. Clinically, we are planning to significantly expand our primary care base, which includes additional clinic spaces in our tri-county area coupled with recruitment of physicians that practice primary care. In education, our residency program has been ranked in the top 10 of all internal medicine residency programs according to U.S. News & World Report. Our residents' success after graduation is testament to our extraordinary program. Finally, our research programs continue to produce cutting-edge breakthroughs. We intend to expand the number of researchers recruited to our medical school over the next five years.
I am certain we will continue to provide a model that other departments of internal medicine strive to follow. Thank you for your interest and please feel free to contact us if you would like to learn more.
John M. Carethers, MD
John G. Searle Professor and Chair,
Department of Internal Medicine