The Department of Internal Medicine is the oldest and largest department in the University of Michigan Medical School. Within our 13 divisions are more than 800 dedicated faculty members and over 310 residents and fellows – all dedicated to advancing patient care, education, and research.
The University of Michigan Health continues to be #1 in the state and one of the leading adult hospitals in the nation as ranked by U.S. News & World Report for 2022-2023, with six of our medical-affiliated specialty service lines ranked nationally. In addition, U-M Health was given the U.S. News & World Report Honor Roll distinction, the only one given in the state, for the seventh consecutive year. In addition, the U-M reported a record $1.72 billion in research expenditures during fiscal year 2022. Of this, the Department of Internal Medicine was responsible for $269.2 million. In addition, the department published more than 3,946+ research publications.
- To enhance and preserve the lives of our patients by offering them the most advanced, comprehensive, and compassionate care.
- To continually learn how to become better clinicians, researchers, and leaders and offer this knowledge to train healthcare professionals within our organization, our community, and around the globe.
- To translate research, conducted at the highest scientific standards, into meaningful improvements in health outcomes.
- To recruit a diverse medical team who believe in and will be dedicated to advancing our mission.
- To be good stewards of all the resources which have been entrusted to us.
Interim Chair, Department of Internal Medicine
Raymond Yung, MB, ChB
Interim Chair and Professor, Department of Internal Medicine
Jeffrey B. Halter MD Collegiate Professor of Geriatric Medicine
Director, Geriatrics Center and Institute of Gerontology
Julie Bynum, MD, MPH
Kevin Chan, MD
Clinical Experience & Quality
John Del Valle, MD
Graduate Medical Education
Scott Flanders, MD
Cyril Grum, MD
Undergraduate Medical Education
Vibha Lama, MD, MS
Basic & Translational Research
Michael Lukela, MD
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Well-Being
Rodica Pop-Busui, MD, PhD
Clinical & Health Services Research
Sanjay Saint, MD, MPH
Associate Vice Chairs
Sarah Gualano, MD
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Well-Being
Megan Mack, MD
Inpatient & Hospital
Julie Wright-Nunes, MD, MPH
Quality and Innovation
Allergy and Clinical Immunology Division
James Baldwin, MD
Cardiovascular Medicine Division
David Pinsky, MD
Gastroenterology and Hepatology Division
William Chey, MD
General Medicine Division
Eve Kerr, MD, MPH
Genetic Medicine Division
Goutham Narla, MD, PhD
Geriatric and Palliative Medicine Division
Lona Mody, MD, MSc (Interim Division Chief)
Hematology and Oncology Division
N. Lynn Henry, MD, PhD (Interim Division Chief)
Hospital Medicine Division
Robert Chang, MD (Interim Division Chief)
Infectious Diseases Division
Powel Kazanjian, MD, PhD
Metabolism, Endocrinology & Diabetes Division
Peter Arvan, MD, PhD
Subramaniam Pennathur, MD
Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine Division
MeiLan Han, MD, MS
John Varga, MD
Chief Administrative Officer
Musty Habhab is the Chief Administrative Officer for the Department of Internal Medicine at Michigan Medicine. In this role, she has administrative responsibility for all medical school, ambulatory care, and hospital operations of the Department, including finances, faculty and staff human resources, grants, and facilities. After earning her degree in Accounting from the University of Northern Iowa and passing the CPA exam, Musty moved to Michigan where she gained valuable experience working in the health system’s Hospital Finance Department. She has over 16 years of experience with the Department of Internal Medicine, serving initially as the Director of Finance and then as the Associate Administrator. She is actively involved in her national organization, the Alliance for Academic Medicine, where she has a seat on the council and is president of Administrators in Internal Medicine.
Directors and Division Administrators
- Director of Administrative Operations, Jolena Nollar
- Director of Clinical Affairs, Kendra Brown
- Director of Finance, Eric Mullen
- Allergy & Clinical Immunology, Carrie Brown
- Cardiovascular Medicine, Joseph Zogaib
- Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Robert Keast (Interim Division Administrator)
- General Medicine, Joel Scharboneau
- Genetic Medicine, Dorothy Schroeder
- Geriatric & Palliative Medicine, Stephanie Gatica
- Hematology & Oncology, Dorothy Schroeder
- Hospital Medicine, Fiona Linn
- Infectious Diseases, Jennifer Hawkins
- Metabolism, Endocrinology & Diabetes, Olushola Samuel
- Nephrology, Jason Ceo
- Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine, Carrie Brown
- Rheumatology, Gary Smith
Department of Internal Medicine Awards
Clinical Excellence Society Award
The Clinical Excellence Society recognizes in an ongoing fashion those faculty who, by their peers and their division, exude and demonstrate clinical excellence towards their patients and colleagues.
Department of Internal Medicine Annual Awards
The Department of Internal Medicine Annual Awards Dinner honors faculty, administration, and residents who have made significant contributions over the past year.
Early Career Endowment Awards
The Early Career Endowment Awards are competitively assigned to junior faculty at the Assistant Professor level and are named after a current or former faculty member.
Service and Excellence Awards
The Service and Excellence Celebration recognizes the many contributions and achievements staff have made to the Department of Internal Medicine, and the milestone anniversaries of our faculty and staff.