Get Involved: Donate!
Reach Out and Read of the University of Michigan:
Help doctors, nurses, and parents make reading part of a healthy childhood. Donate!
We are always in need of used children’s books in good condition to supplement our program books. Secondhand books allow us to provide books to children who are visiting the doctor because they are sick, are accompanying a sibling, or are outside of the age range served by our program. We are happy to pick up donations of books at your home or workplace. Organizing a book drive to support Reach Out and Read is also a great service opportunity for groups and organizations!
At times, we can offer opportunities to volunteer with Reach Out and Read inside a pediatric clinic. Volunteering in a clinic involves:
- Reading aloud to children in clinic waiting rooms
- Modeling reading techniques for parents
- Showing families that books are fun!
- Gaining experience in a pediatric setting
- Readers must be at least 16 years of age.
- Interview and health screening, provided by UMHS.
- Must attend a 2 hour training orientation
If you are interested, or would like more information, please contact the program coordinator
Thank you to those who supported Reach Out and Read of the University of Michigan over the past few years!
- Gretchen's House Childcare Centers
- Eberwhite Elementary School - Random Acts of Kindness Club
- Stone School Cooperative Nursery
- Ann Arbor District Library
- Ypsilanti District Library
- Ann Arbor Christian School
- Women at Thomson - Thomson Reuters
- Amerman Elementary School
- Trinity Home Health
- Alpha Omega at the University of Michigan School of Dentistry
- Raymond James & Associates, Inc, Ann Arbor
- Circle K at the University of Michigan
- Skyline High School - Community Service Club
- King Elementary School
- Workman Elementary Girl Scouts
- JAC Products
- Greenhills School
- Clinton High School
- Denison Consulting
- Numerous Charitable Individuals from the Local Community
- Several Generous Anonymous Donors
Support Reach Out and Read of the University of Michigan:
Why Support Reach Out and Read?
Information from ROR National
- Reach Out and Read prepares children to succeed in school.
Fourteen peer-reviewed, published research studies all demonstrate that children served by Reach Out and Read are read to more often, have larger vocabularies, and develop stronger early reading skills. Contributions to Reach Out and Read directly support our mission of ensuring that every child arrives at kindergarten ready to read and ready to learn.
- Reach Out and Read is cost-effective.
Reach Out and Read is delivered to children through the existing healthcare infrastructure (hospitals, health centers, and clinics) by volunteer doctors, nurses, and staff, significantly reducing overhead and enabling the program to serve millions of children at a fraction of the cost of other nonprofit organizations. Reach Out and Read also negotiates directly with publishers to purchase high quality children's books in bulk, giving us even more "book for the buck."
- Reach Out and Read has been recognized annually for its fiscal responsibility, program effectiveness, and social impact.
Charity Navigator has awarded its highest rating of four stars to Reach Out and Read for five consecutive years in recognition of the fact that the program "consistently executes its mission in a fiscally responsible way, and outperforms most other charities in America." In addition, Independent Charities of America awarded the Seal of Excellence to Reach Out and Read and GuideStar Exchange named Reach Out and Read a Valued Partner. Reach Out and Read was one of only 45 organizations to earn the Fast Company/Monitor Group Social Capitalist Award, presented to social entrepreneurs who are "changing the world."
- Reach Out and Read is doctor-recommended.
The Reach Out and Read model of early literacy promotion is officially endorsed by both the American Academy of Pediatrics and the National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners. In addition, the Reach Out and Read model is included in the "Bright Futures" guidelines of recommended practices for all pediatric care providers.
- Reach Out and Read has nationwide scale and local impact.
Reach Out and Read serves 4.5 million children annually through 5,800 participating Programs, which are located in every state in the U.S., including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Reach Out and Read is serving more than one-third of children living in poverty and more than 25% of U.S. military families.