A career in medicine demands not only the acquisition of a large fund of knowledge and a host of special skills but the development of professional attributes needed to provide the highest quality of patient care. We expect all members of our community to support a positive learning environment. Specifically, to foster an environment in which the professional growth and development of our students can best take place.
The faculty of the University of Michigan Medical School will strive to:
1. Work diligently to ensure that each component of the educational program for students is of high quality.
2. Serve as mentors and role models for students, maintaining high professional standards in interactions with patients, colleagues and staff.
3. Respect all students regardless of gender, race, age, disability, national origin, religion or sexual orientation
4. Support students who experience difficulties in the learning environment by being receptive to and responding appropriately to any perceived mistreatment.
5. Fairly evaluate and provide timely feedback, including constructive criticism, to help all students achieve academic excellence, clinical excellence, and excellence in professional conduct.
6. Set a high example of teamwork and collegiality.
The Medical students will in turn strive to:
1. Work diligently to acquire the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to fulfill the educational objectives established by the faculty.
2. Exemplify the professional virtues of altruism, accountability, compassion, duty, excellence, honor and integrity conducting themselves accordingly at all times, but especially in their dealings with patients.
3. Respect all faculty members, residents, staff and other students regardless of gender, race, age, disability, national origin, religion or sexual orientation
4. Report any perceived mistreatment to appropriate faculty and staff.
5. Seek out and willingly accept constructive criticism/ negative feedback and use this information to improve performance.
6. Recognize that medical education and the practice of medicine are activities that require cooperation, mutual support and the ability to work productively with colleagues.
UMMS Bulletin Downloads
Original Version: 2019