The CHRC was founded in 1991 and is funded by the NIH-NICHD as part of the Child Health Research Center Development Award (CHRCDA) Program. The CHRC has contributed to the training of over 50 pediatric-investigators, the majority of whom have gone on to establish successful independent research programs designed to improve our understanding of childhood disease as well as develop new therapeutic approaches.
- CHRC scholars receive up to $75,000 per year for salary support and $25,000 per year for operating expenses, up to a period of three years.
- Mentorship and guidance is provided by the CHRC Leadership and senior investigators at the University of Michigan.
We are actively recruiting talented junior pediatricians with particular efforts directed towards minority candidates to careers in academic pediatrics. Trainees completing their residency in pediatrics, fellows in subspecialty training and junior faculty are eligible for this program. Investigators interested in applying of the program should contact Marc Hershenson M.D.
Valerie P. Opipari, M.D. Chair, Department of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases; Ravitz Foundation Professor of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases.
Marc B. Hershenson, M.D. Frederick G.L. Huetwell Professor of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases; Professor of Molecular and Integrative Physiology; Division Director, Pediatric Pulmonology.
Delia M. Vasquez, M.D. Professor of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases; Professor of Psychiatry; Research Scientist, Center of Human Growth and Development.
CHRC Advisory Committee:
Vivian G. Cheung, M.D. Frederick G.L. Huetwell Professor of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases; Professor of Human Genetics; Research Professor, Life Sciences Institute; Investigator, Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
Catherine E. Keegan M.D, Ph.D. Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases
John J. LiPuma, M.D. James L. Wilson, M.D. Research Professor of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases; Professor of Epidemiology, School of Public Health; Division Director, Pediatric Infectious Diseases.
Carey N. Lumeng, M.D., Ph.D. Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases; Associate Professor of Molecular and Integrative Physiology; Director of Faculty Development.
Donna M. Martin, M.D., Ph.D. Donita B. Sullivan Research Professor in Pediatrics, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases; Associate Professor of Human Genetics.
Jordan A. Shavit, M.D. Ph.D. Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Communicable Diseases
Susan J. Woolford, M.D., M.P.H. Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics’ Chair, Pediatric Advisory Committee on Equity
External Advisory Committee:
Maria G. Castro, Ph.D. R. C. Schneider Collegiate Professor of Neurosurgery and Professor of Cell and Developmental Biology
Jack M. Parent, M.D. Professor of Neurology; Director of the Neurodevelopment and Regeneration Laboratory; Co-director, Comprehensive Epilepsy Center.
Juanita L. Merchant, M.D., Ph.D. H. Marvin Pollard Professor of Gastrointestinal Sciences in Internal Medicine; Associate Director, University of Michigan Medical Scientist Training Program.
- Angela Weyand, MD, Assistant Professor, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- Mentor: Jordan A. Shavit, MD, PhD
- Project: Identifying genetic modifiers of coagulation; using ENU mutagenesis screen to identify suppressor or enhancer mutations in a zebrafish model of Factor V deficiency
- Gina Ney, MD, PhD, Clinical Lecturer, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- Mentor: Qing Li, MD, PhD
- Project: Metabolic reprogramming in pre-leukemic hematopoietic stem cells, focusing on the role of oncogenic N-ras
- Louis T. Dang, MD, PhD, Clinical Lecturer, Pediatric Neurology
- Mentor: Jack M. Parent, MD
- Project: Electrophysiological, biochemical, and pharmacological characterization of Dravet Syndrome patient-derived neurons
- Jennifer R. Bermick (Dalton), MD, Clinical Lecturer, Neonatal-Perinatal Medicine
- Mentor: Nicholas W. Lukacs, PhD
- Project: Epigenetic regulation of the premature immune system.
- Challice L. Bonifant, MD, PhD, Clinical Lecturer, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- Mentor: Pavan Reddy, MD
- Project: Enhancement of tumor killing adoptively transferred engineered T cells as treatment for AML.
- Karl J. Koschmann, MD, Assistant Professor, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- Mentor:Maria G. Castro, PhD
- Project: Targeting ATRX-Deficient Pediatric Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM).